New To Reefing :)

ikmail

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 20, 2020
Messages
8
Reaction score
32
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm Mohammad Ikmail, this is my second month in the hobby, previously I used to have freshwater tank with only fish, i stopped when I moved to UAE (Dubai), here I had the opportunity to start my first reef tank.

I started by buying 80G (around 315L) tank (Aqua Medic Armatus 400), I was super excited, I rinsed the sand (White CaribSea sand) put it in the tank, added the dry rocks (around 20LB (10KG)) put some filter media in the sump, filled it with tap water and started the pump, then i started to add fish food to add ammonia every other day.

2 days later I had a great idea, read about it, it may be different than keeping hardy fresh water fish :D, so I did, unfortunately I did it all wrong, starting by putting the sand before the rock, using tap water, the amount of rocks I added to the filter media type I bought.

Then I met some LFS owners and workers, and started to fix it, I didn't do much, bought a RO unit, some more rocks, filter media and a skimmer and started the cycle again.

two weeks later I added my first fish (ya its a tiny clown) then I added a small Blue hippo tang, then watched the brown algae (I guess its diatoms) thriving and almost covering the sand bed, after a while it was gone and the tank returned bright again.

one week later i bought two (Aquarium System Solution - Satellite Series (75w)) LED

after a while I added two other clowns, one foxface with some snails two cleaner shrimps and one hermit crab, then after a week or so i added 4 corals (I only remember the name of one LT Plate Coral)


recently I'm fighting green algae by trying to reduce the Phosphate level as much as I can.


attached some recent pictures of the tank, appreciate your comments and suggestions :)
Thanks for your time

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-14 at 6.28.56 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-14 at 6.28.57 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-14 at 6.28.58 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-14 at 6.28.58 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-14 at 6.28.59 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-14 at 6.28.59 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-16 at 3.29.22 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-20 at 12.49.51 PM.jpeg
 
Welcome to R2R!!!

Clownfish.gif
 
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
nice tank..do not strip phos to zero,..happy reefing
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new