New to salt and R2R

  • Thread starter Thread starter fishguypa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

fishguypa

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2025
Messages
72
Reaction score
130
Location
Sarver
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a Hello Reef kit against the lfs advice. I’m ok with a challenge and I see people have good luck with them. Any words of wisdom. I did order a Ato and a skimmer (mainly causes it was 50% off) I’ve been keeping freshwater for nearly 7years.
 
Why would your LFS advise against that Hello Reef kit, because it's not something they sell? It's a fine way to get started, and a skimmer and ATO are solid add ons.

If I remember correctly, the Hello Reef kit advises you to use fish food as an ammonia source to initially cycle the tank, but I would use ammonium chloride or ammonia bicarbonate to add ammonia. Dr. Tim's bacteria is included with your kit, and Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride is a popular choice to get your cycle going.

I'd suggest adding a heater controller to help prevent a seafood boil in your tank, which happens frequently when a heater sticks in the "on" position. The InkBird controllers are inexpensive and popular.

If you're brand new to reef tanks, I would suggest checking out this guide and video series:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

Good luck!
 
Thank you it sounds like I’m headed for success. I was looking into the controller already. I use them on my 110 gallon cichlid tank. I’ll definitely check the link out. The lfs said nothing less than a 50gal tank at $2200 bucks. I thought to myself I’d rather try for $7-800 all in startup and learn a lesson.
 
A larger tank can potentially be more stable, and in that way a bit easier to care for, but nothing wrong with starting out with the Hello Reef 15 gallon. Many people have that tank as their first (it's an Innovative Marine 15, I believe they include).
 
Welcome to the show! 2557901-dc0e1405a601b7e47816f5b66362eb95.gif
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Any words of wisdom.
  • read about the ugly phase (and nitrogen cycle) before adding anything living to the tank. Many people freak out when the sand turns brown or green hair algae starts to cover everything within the first 1 - 6 months. Diatoms, green hair algae, dinoflagellates, cyanobacteria, all those things people hate in established tanks are very common in new tanks and don't necessarily require you to take any action.
  • use at least a little bit of live rock if you want to spare yourself some pain.
  • be patient
  • but most important: enjoy the hobby :)
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Any words of wisdom.
  • read about the ugly phase (and nitrogen cycle) before adding anything living to the tank. Many people freak out when the sand turns brown or green hair algae starts to cover everything within the first 1 - 6 months. Diatoms, green hair algae, dinoflagellates, cyanobacteria, all those things people hate in established tanks are very common in new tanks and don't necessarily require you to take any action.
  • use at least a little bit of live rock if you want to spare yourself some pain.
  • be patient
  • but most important: enjoy the hobby :)
So I’m thinking on the realm of clown what do you think about clean up crew
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new