New to saltwater questions about cycling and extra

quinndeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , so I am new to all of this. But I finally got my tank set up yesterday. It has 27lbs of dry life rock and a little under two pounds of live rock from lfs. Then I have some normal sand and 5 lbs of ocean direct sand. And I have been dosing something called seed bacteria. Some say your tank is immediately established when using live rock but I’m not sure if I added enough for it to cycle immediately. With all that being said will my tank take the normal month to cycle or will it possibly be faster? I also have a few more questions. When it would be okay to add a coral , I heard they help with cycling cause of the ammonia but they are an animal too so I don’t want them to be hurting from it. Should I wait it out to not turn my light on for awhile to possibly avoid the algae stage? I’m also looking into adding some copepods, is that a good idea? I heard they help with algae.
Also this is the set up, I haven’t put my heater and thermometer on yet. Is this good?

IMG_0803.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True cycle never ends, thus the name... cycle, as in cyclical.

What most folks call a cycle is just when a tank can handle some fish waste without killing fish. I wish that it was without harming fish since you can damage fish gills if ammonia gets too high and while they might not die, they might live 3 years instead of 10.

In any case, you need algae or other things before copepods can eat and live. Lights are needed to start the ecosystem developing. There could be some pods on that live rock that you got - the thing with live rock from the LFS is you don't know whether it is just wet rock or if it has tons of life on it - photo could help.

If you added seed bacteria, just follow the directions on the timelines and then you can slowly and smartly add and feed some fish. Your tank will not have an ecosystem and nothing will be complete, but it will be progressing and you can progress along with it. Nothing will be done, so be smart and go slow.

OP
OP
quinndeline

quinndeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True cycle never ends, thus the name... cycle, as in cyclical.

What most folks call a cycle is just when a tank can handle some fish waste without killing fish. I wish that it was without harming fish since you can damage fish gills if ammonia gets too high and while they might not die, they might live 3 years instead of 10.

In any case, you need algae or other things before copepods can eat and live. Lights are needed to start the ecosystem developing. There could be some pods on that live rock that you got - the thing with live rock from the LFS is you don't know whether it is just wet rock or if it has tons of life on it - photo could help.

If you added seed bacteria, just follow the directions on the timelines and then you can slowly and smartly add and feed some fish. Your tank will not have an ecosystem and nothing will be complete, but it will be progressing and you can progress along with it. Nothing will be done, so be smart and go slow.
Thank you so much. When do you recommend adding corals?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals depend... helpful right? Eaiser corals can come when the algae starts to grow. Harder corals are best to wait until you start to get coralline. Corals and the rocks and things that they come on can add diversity to your tank but you at least have to wait until you get some signs that photosynthesis is working in your tank and that the nasty time in the beginning is over - there is more to this than just ammonia for fish... pH can fluctuate, etc.

Please understand that BRS makes videos to sell products - infomercials. They are not a great source for independent information or methods and have made videos and endorsed products that have turned out to be frauds and otherwise caused issues. They are kinda fun to watch, but don't believe any of them without other verification from somebody not just basing their opinions on the video.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome! I would most definitely wait on the corals. I would give it 3 or 4 months minimum for them. Are you doing any testing? That will tell you where you are in the cycle. The set up looks good. You will want ammonia and nitrites to be zero before you go adding any fish. What lights are you planning on using? I ask because coral require good lighting. You will find all info you need right here. Just ask the right questions, in the right forum, and you be able to go far with what you have.

OP
OP
quinndeline

quinndeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals depend... helpful right? Eaiser corals can come when the algae starts to grow. Harder corals are best to wait until you start to get coralline. Corals and the rocks and things that they come on can add diversity to your tank but you at least have to wait until you get some signs that photosynthesis is working in your tank and that the nasty time in the beginning is over - there is more to this than just ammonia for fish... pH can fluctuate, etc.

Please understand that BRS makes videos to sell products - infomercials. They are not a great source for independent information or methods and have made videos and endorsed products that have turned out to be frauds and otherwise caused issues. They are kinda fun to watch, but don't believe any of them without other verification from somebody not just basing their opinions on the video.
Good to know! I do love watching YouTube videos too it’s how I learned what I know about saltwater with a little bit of reading. Do you have any recommendations on good sources from YouTube ?

OP
OP
quinndeline

quinndeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree. I tried to avoid the ugly phase and just ended up kicking the can down the road. I still ended up going through a Cyano phase and a Green Hair algae phase.
That’s what I was wondering if it was just going to stall the process if I don’t turn the lights on. Thank you

OP
OP
quinndeline

quinndeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome! I would most definitely wait on the corals. I would give it 3 or 4 months minimum for them. Are you doing any testing? That will tell you where you are in the cycle. The set up looks good. You will want ammonia and nitrites to be zero before you go adding any fish. What lights are you planning on using? I ask because coral require good lighting. You will find all info you need right here. Just ask the right questions, in the right forum, and you be able to go far with what you have.
I haven’t done any testing yet cause my testing kit is still coming in the mail. I got the api kit but when I did more research on it, I started getting nervous cause of what people say about the kit. I’m looking for something budget friendly but I will spend the money if I really have too, if that makes sense. I really am eager to test.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t done any testing yet cause my testing kit is still coming in the mail. I got the api kit but when I did more research on it, I started getting nervous cause of what people say about the kit. I’m looking for something budget friendly but I will spend the money if I really have too, if that makes sense. I really am eager to test.
API is perfect for cycling!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. If the product says you can add fish on day 1, you can add fish on day 1 (per what @jda says) - assuming you're using the dose of bacteria recommended for your size tank
2. I would use a small stocking density, and strongly consider quarantining your fish per protocol.
3. I am in a different camp than some - I believe you can add coral (especially 'easy' coral) - quite early - since you have some live rock in your tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to comment that API tests are fine - depending on following the directions exactly. They have been shown to be similar to other tests when studied. Some people have had problems with them.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the Salifert kits, they are relatively cheap and much more recommended. The gold standard is Hanna, but they are rather pricey. API is not great. Sea Chem makes some decent ones as well.

OP
OP
quinndeline

quinndeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I don’t have a light yet, still looking around for the best quality for a lower price
Any ideas

OP
OP
quinndeline

quinndeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the Salifert kits, they are relatively cheap and much more recommended. The gold standard is Hanna, but they are rather pricey. API is not great. Sea Chem makes some decent ones as well.
Is there a whole kit I can buy with everything I need for cycling and reefing

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I don’t have a light yet, still looking around for the best quality for a lower price
Any ideas
Yes, however nothing wroth using will be too cheap. I did some research, and came down to Hipargero 100 watt LED's. They are on Amazon for about $150. each.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back