New to saltwater what size tank should i start with?

ajax969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be true, but there are a lot of fish that play a utilitarian role in the aquarium. For example, I'm envious of everyone with a tang since they eat algae on the rocks. I have a 32 gallon and have a starry blenny, but tangs are more fastidious about cleaning the rockwork.

Same with copperbands for aiptasia.
I would rather watch my wife's starry blenny over her scopas tang all day. I think it comes down to personality of the fish. We've had tangs that are shy and skiddish and some that try to rule the tank

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, super excited. Even the planning process and all the coral placement research is a lot fun. The placement and fragging of the coral looks intimidating and difficult, but ready to learn. Lol
Quarantine quarantine quarantine every single fish that gets added to you tank. I cannot stress this enough I’m currently fighting an ich breakout in my display tank because I thought I’d get away without quarantining and I think I’m going to lose my baby yellow tang because of it he is my favorite fish and a major reason I got into the hobby but he will not eat because of it. If something could happen it will happen so take every precaution you can

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine quarantine quarantine every single fish that gets added to you tank. I cannot stress this enough I’m currently fighting an ich breakout in my display tank because I thought I’d get away without quarantining and I think I’m going to lose my baby yellow tang because of it he is my favorite fish and a major reason I got into the hobby but he will not eat because of it. If something could happen it will happen so take every precaution you can
What size qt tank you run? What do you treat with?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curved R2R Welcome 3-31-23 2.0 White.png

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
have two right now a 30 gallon and a 13 gallon since I had to pull every fish out of my display. A simple 10 gallon should be enough to quarantine most fish. It really depends on the size of your tank and the size of the fish you are planning on keeping

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I’m currently treating with cupramine as it was readily available but copper power is a better option as the dosing is higher and easier to control. I also add “probiotic marine formula” as an antibacterial you can use it in quarantine and in display

Attachments

• IMG_5602.png
    IMG_5602.png
    163 KB · Views: 18

LetUsSeeYourLettuceSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I am new to saltwater world. I have be in freshwater for years, then I got out of it for a bit. So here in about a year I should be financially ready to start up a tank. So everybody please be ready for a plethora of questions from me. Haha.. So here is my 1st question.. What size tank should I start with? I am looking at the waterbox 100.3. It is a 80 gal display.
I've seen people have really good luck with Biocubes, the lighting isn't too bad and its easily upgradeable to add filtration in the back and a new light.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back