New to saltwater what size tank should i start with?

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I am new to saltwater world. I have be in freshwater for years, then I got out of it for a bit. So here in about a year I should be financially ready to start up a tank. So everybody please be ready for a plethora of questions from me. Haha.. So here is my 1st question.. What size tank should I start with? I am looking at the waterbox 100.3. It is a 80 gal display.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! There are many different opinions on the answer to your question. Many will say the bigger the better. IMO, the upper end of the 40 gallon - 125 gallon range is a good place to start (if you can reasonably afford it). Don't forget to put a strong consideration on what works for you, your budget, your life, etc. Good luck on whatever you choose!

Clownfish.gif

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

I would take a look at what type of fish you want to keep. If there is anything specific you really want try to get a tank big enough for them. For instance I really want a sailfin tang and they require a tank around 180 gallons at full size.

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

I would take a look at what type of fish you want to keep. If there is anything specific you really want try to get a tank big enough for them. For instance I really want a sailfin tang and they require a tank around 180 gallons at full size.
Hello, I am going for a mix reef. So Fish will be thought out around the coral 1st. Low to mid livestock. It all about the coral for me. Lol

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, super excited. Even the planning process and all the coral placement research is a lot fun. The placement and fragging of the coral looks intimidating and difficult, but ready to learn. Lol
Takes time, patience. You'll get it.
Start a build thred so we can all check out your progress!
Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings and welcome to the reef! IMO, the Waterbox you have your eye on is right in the sweet spot. I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

ajax969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
I've had a tank going for 2 years now. I think that if you are serious about wanting to get into this for the first time that a 75-100 gallon tank is about the sweet spot for parameter stability and yet isn't so big that you're going to break the bank on buying equipment for it.

Like it was mentioned, look into fish types and tank size requirements but I wouldn't go out and buy a huge tank to start with due to the cost of equipment and getting over that first year hump of the new wearing off.

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
I've had a tank going for 2 years now. I think that if you are serious about wanting to get into this for the first time that a 75-100 gallon tank is about the sweet spot for parameter stability and yet isn't so big that you're going to break the bank on buying equipment for it.

Like it was mentioned, look into fish types and tank size requirements but I wouldn't go out and buy a huge tank to start with due to the cost of equipment and getting over that first year hump of the new wearing off.
Thank you.

Welcome!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back