New to saltwater what size tank should i start with?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Welcome.gif

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I'm going to agree with @Peace River, @ajax969 and @SPR1968 and say somewhere between 40 and 120 gallons is a good place to be. A larger tank just allows more options and is more stabile while you are honing your skills but they also cost more to setup and take more equipment/supplies to maintain. The 100.3 you mentioned is certainly a good choice.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago my brother in law had a 150gal. He advised me that they now had a 180. I bought it. Realize that water changes require more water, salt etc. I got out of the hobby for about 10 years but am back into it. I bought another 180 and personally I wouldn't want anything smaller. I have 5 tangs which appreciate the space. I have 3 AI 32 Hd for lighting, Abyzz 100 pump, as you can see it will cost more to have more tank. Always a consideration! BTW I also have a 32 Biocube and a 30 QT.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am going for a mix reef. So Fish will be thought out around the coral 1st. Low to mid livestock. It all about the coral for me. Lol
I was the same way. But found a GORGEOUS desjardin sailfin tang and want a bigger tank. Corals are my love but fish will get oohs and aahs from non reef house guests

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I'm going to agree with @Peace River, @ajax969 and @SPR1968 and say somewhere between 40 and 120 gallons is a good place to be. A larger tank just allows more options and is more stabile while you are honing your skills but they also cost more to setup and take more equipment/supplies to maintain. The 100.3 you mentioned is certainly a good choice.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
Thank you

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago my brother in law had a 150gal. He advised me that they now had a 180. I bought it. Realize that water changes require more water, salt etc. I got out of the hobby for about 10 years but am back into it. I bought another 180 and personally I wouldn't want anything smaller. I have 5 tangs which appreciate the space. I have 3 AI 32 Hd for lighting, Abyzz 100 pump, as you can see it will cost more to have more tank. Always a consideration! BTW I also have a 32 Biocube and a 30 QT.
Nice, I love 6' tanks. I have to keep it 4' or under. How is the biocube?

ajax969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the same way. But found a GORGEOUS desjardin sailfin tang and want a bigger tank. Corals are my love but fish will get oohs and aahs from non reef house guests
That's the frustrating thing. If I could go back to get a tank big enough for the fish I now want. It's hard to make the switch when I have a perfectly good running tank already.

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I was limited in funds and space I’d do a 40 breeder build. The water box is also nice but it’s a large cost to get the tank. I’ve always been a fan of building it “my way “ but I also have the talent and means. There are some stunning 40 breeder builds.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello, I am going for a mix reef. So Fish will be thought out around the coral 1st. Low to mid livestock. It all about the coral for me. Lol
This may be true, but there are a lot of fish that play a utilitarian role in the aquarium. For example, I'm envious of everyone with a tang since they eat algae on the rocks. I have a 32 gallon and have a starry blenny, but tangs are more fastidious about cleaning the rockwork.

Same with copperbands for aiptasia.

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly a 40 or 60 breeder with a modular marine overflow is the perfect starter if you are confident drilling glass and building a stand. Otherwise a 75 gallon corner overflow is nice and less pricy.
You know is was thinking about going on fb market place, finding a free tank and practicing cutting a hole for a overflow. Lol
I really like the ultra low iron glass aquarium.

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Drilling glass is easy and a super good skill to have. Ghost overflows also give you tonsssss more space and a clean look I also wouldn’t stress over starfire glass. Planet aquariums also sells nice stuff with ghost overflows pre drilled and options for starfire.

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling glass is easy and a super good skill to have. Ghost overflows also give you tonsssss more space and a clean look I also wouldn’t stress over starfire glass. Planet aquariums also sells nice stuff with ghost overflows pre drilled and options for starfire.
I looked them up, thanks. I do like the external overflow.

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may even be a local guy who will help you drill I met one of my best friends on This forum by drilling some holes for him! No joke
Ya, I'm pretty pumped really liking the forum. I will be ready to start buying next black friday just great deals and best bang for the buck. I'm iffy on buying used tanks. I don't know putting so much money into livestock, it is hard not to buy new. I don't know. Lol

OP
OP
Saltyhigginslakeguy

Saltyhigginslakeguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be true, but there are a lot of fish that play a utilitarian role in the aquarium. For example, I'm envious of everyone with a tang since they eat algae on the rocks. I have a 32 gallon and have a starry blenny, but tangs are more fastidious about cleaning the rockwork.

Same with copperbands
So are tang reef safe?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back