New to saltwater!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have test kits? If not, you will need them ASAP. Especially for ammonia. What filtration is on the 5 gallon?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I take my water to a store called aqua hut to have it tested. They deal with saltwater strictly

You need:

Refractometer for testing newly made saltwater for SG.

Test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Getting started a api saltwater master kit will do and will have all of those in it. Can get them at petsmart or petco. They are fine to use to get started. You can get better kits later.

RO/DI unit is preferred for making clean water. Not needed at first and you should be able to get RO/DI water from your LFS for now.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ Is a good choice for one.

Try not to use tap water to make saltwater with. Depending on what’s in your water, it’s not the best choice to use because of the chlorine/chloramines in it and heavy metals.

Your LFS maybe a good source for information, but sadly some are not! Bad ones will sell anything to you and say “it’s fine”. So be careful and when in doubt, ask us here!

Anytime you need questions answered, ask the question and the type in #reefsquad and a ton of knowledgeable reefers will respond with solid answers!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
zOk7nol.gif

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and to the hobby.

OP
OP
Katie Bourgeois

Katie Bourgeois

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need:

Refractometer for testing newly made saltwater for SG.

Test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Getting started a api saltwater master kit will do and will have all of those in it. Can get them at petsmart or petco. They are fine to use to get started. You can get better kits later.

RO/DI unit is preferred for making clean water. Not needed at first and you should be able to get RO/DI water from your LFS for now.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ Is a good choice for one.

Try not to use tap water to make saltwater with. Depending on what’s in your water, it’s not the best choice to use because of the chlorine/chloramines in it and heavy metals.

Your LFS maybe a good source for information, but sadly some are not! Bad ones will sell anything to you and say “it’s fine”. So be careful and when in doubt, ask us here!

Anytime you need questions answered, ask the question and the type in #reefsquad and a ton of knowledgeable reefers will respond with solid answers!
Thank you so much you have been so helpful!!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back