New to saltwater!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone,

My name is Nat and im new to the wonderful world of saltwater aquariums. While i dont have a reef i do have a pet lobster named Larry! I saved him from kids that got him from a grocery store amd were hurting him! I was able to keep him at my work (seafood restaurant with a tank) until i established a tank for him. I brought him home yesterday, took his elastics off and he seems to be one happy lobster now! He has a beautiful 75 gallon tank with a chiller and i'm so glad hes now part of the family. I know its crazy but i had to save him! Lol!! I joined in case I need some help or advice so thanks in advance!!!
Have a wonderful day and thank you for having me!!!

Snapchat-936583821.jpg
welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This article explains feeding , water parameters , live rock and not keeping in new tanks .

not sure if you read this one

I did read this one but thank you!!! Ive been cycling his tank for about 2 months and we have a tank store here at home with someone who knows alot about crustaceans! He said larry was fine in this newer system but had to make sure his alkalinity and calcium were on point! And of course low nitrates amd zero nitrites! Another big factor was a chiller for his tank! Been a very interesting learning process to say the least lol! Well worth it!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone,

My name is Nat and im new to the wonderful world of saltwater aquariums. While i dont have a reef i do have a pet lobster named Larry! I saved him from kids that got him from a grocery store amd were hurting him! I was able to keep him at my work (seafood restaurant with a tank) until i established a tank for him. I brought him home yesterday, took his elastics off and he seems to be one happy lobster now! He has a beautiful 75 gallon tank with a chiller and i'm so glad hes now part of the family. I know its crazy but i had to save him! Lol!! I joined in case I need some help or advice so thanks in advance!!!
Have a wonderful day and thank you for having me!!!

Snapchat-936583821.jpg

Hi Nat and Larry and Welcome! Glad you joined.

OH MY GOSH - my boyfriend keeps (saying/joking?!) he wants to turn our pool into a lobster breeding tank... slipper lobsters usually come up as species but sometimes Larry's cousins get consideration, too.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Nat and Larry and Welcome! Glad you joined.

OH MY GOSH - my boyfriend keeps (saying/joking?!) he wants to turn our pool into a lobster breeding tank... slipper lobsters usually come up as species but sometimes Larry's cousins get consideration, too.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thank you ill will definitely look into building my own thread! So glad i joined! Everyone is kind and positive! Thank u for the article! Larry is a keeper so i want the best for him!

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Nat. Well done for saving the lobster and then setting a tank up for it. Awful that those kids mistreated a living creature. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Nat. Well done for saving the lobster and then setting a tank up for it. Awful that those kids mistreated a living creature. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
Thank you so much!!! Love that lobster lol!!! Looks like i joined the right spot! Everyone has been super kind! Feeling grateful 100%!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back