New to Saltwater

lisetteS91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a 10gal tank with one clownfish. I was looking into getting one or two other things (not fish) to occupy my tank. I was thinking maybe an Astrea snail and green star polyps? I've read that both are good for beginners but I don't want to over stock the tank or put anything in the tank that would be bad for the clownfish.
I don't really care for the fake anemone I currently have, I am totally willing to take them out.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_20220523-085310.png

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a 10gal tank with one clownfish. I was looking into getting one or two other things (not fish) to occupy my tank. I was thinking maybe an Astrea snail and green star polyps? I've read that both are good for beginners but I don't want to over stock the tank or put anything in the tank that would be bad for the clownfish.
I don't really care for the fake anemone I currently have, I am totally willing to take them out.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_20220523-085310.png
How did you cycle your tank? How long has it been running? Do you have good lighting for coral growth? Green star polyps can be easy if done properly. You could also if tank was cycled properly add a anemone to go with you clown. What equipment are you running on the tank?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also pay close attention to the fake nem and plants in the tank. Salt water is awful to alot of materials and they will begin to dissolve over time. Your tank looks super new, no algae or diatoms at all. Best course of action right now is let your aquarium cycle, keep a close eye on your ammonia so your clowns dont suffer. Once you are through the ugly stage then you can begin to worry about adding a coral. If you add snails or crabs now. odds are they will starve. You cannot feed heavily enough for them right now as it would spike your ammonia.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
Like said, for now just let it be. The tank needs to mature a lot before much can go in.
Definitely remove the fake nems, there is potential for them degrading, and once covered in algae they won’t loom too nice anyway.
When algae starts appearing, you can get a cuc like hermit crabs and astrea snails.
Pretty much any member of the cuc has minimal effect on the bioload, and corals actually help to keep the water clean of nitrogenous wastes (fish poop).
What kind of lighting and flow do you have? Corals have specific needs and won’t do well under stock or basic equipment. Good beginner corals are gsp, Xenia, leathers, and zoanthids. Only get corals when the tank is ready.

Back