New to SPS - Checking In On Progress

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, basically as the title states, I'm new into the world of sticks especially Acropora's. Feeling comfortable that I have my system stability and parameters under control and consistently in line with the what we collective seem to agree as good numbers. Basically, no major swings;

Temp averaging around 79
Salinity - stable at 1.026
pH - average 8.15 w/ +/- 0.03 swing in 24 hours
Alkalinity - somewhere around 7.3dKH
Calcium - around 420ppm
Magnesium - around 1350ppm
PO4 - typically around 0.02
N03 - typically around 5

Since this is a SPS type conversation;
  • Flow I would consider to be on the strong side as the water is moving around in my 65ga space with two MP40's, MP10 and ReefWave 25 setup in a typical arrangement of the two MP40's facing each other in ReefCrest mode @ 60% and the ReefWave on the back wall moving water down at around 80%. It's turbulant to say the least.
  • Lighting is two Kessil a360we's mounted about 8" above the water line with about 6" of water above the coral placement. Based on PAR readings from my Seneye at this location, it's approximately 330 PAR.

This is more of a subjective type question as I really have no point of reference on what looks good in terms of coloration, growth, etc... As well, my photography skills are ranked in the negatives so I don't know if I can get a quality picture to the group for honest opinions, but here I go and try.

I picked up this 'Ultra Red Table Acropora' (linked for reference) from @Tidal Gardens during their March R2R sale. Figured I'd give it try, so I've had it for a little over a month now and appears to growing and has some pretty good polyp extension as I can see. Color doesn't appear to have changed much from when I first put it in my tank but if definitely doesn't pop red, more of a burgundy color. Some tips glow green and others are definitely a bright red almost pink.

I've read somewhere that green may show a lack or over abundance of something, I can't remember what that thing was and that browning is an affect either not enough light or high nutrients. I'll let the smarter people weigh in there to help get it straight in my head.

So, basically my question is from everyone's experience, in terms of coloration am I on the right track here, meaning am what I am seeing pretty standard? Any recommendations on areas to improve or focus on to increase the coloration.

As promised, my terrible photography skills showcased below, when the lights come on tomorrow with a little more intensity than the end of the ramp down at night I'll see if I can jumble a combination of CoralView filters on my iPhone to get a better picture.

UltraRedTableAcros.jpg

I completely get the pursuit of perfect lighting, flow and feeding to make the colors pop now! :)

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my 360we about 6" above the water. Through research it was determined as the sweet spot. I have 2 over a 90 gallon.

OP
OP
walloutlet

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my 360we about 6" above the water. Through research it was determined as the sweet spot. I have 2 over a 90 gallon.

What intensity do you run them at? I'm at 70% in this configuration.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ramped them up over time to 85%. 12 hours total light with a ramp up and down, with 4 or 5 hours peak.

OP
OP
walloutlet

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ramped them up over time to 85%. 12 hours total light with a ramp up and down, with 4 or 5 hours peak.

Thanks for the info... I have about 10 hours of total light with 4 hours of peak as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Parameters look good. What test kits are you using ?
As for light placement- Find your own sweet spot. I never duplicate anyone elses placement as your coral response, type of water, tank depth etc will react differently.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just referring to this "sweet spot" for the readings as far as coverage goes. The best coverage/par ratio was seen at this level as far as tank coverage goes. Highest numbers total in the 24x24 area. Lower gets more focused in middle with less on the outside. Higher the overall number drops. Think it was on the BRS investigates video.

OP
OP
walloutlet

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kits range from MA887, Hanna (Alk & PO4), Apex (pH, Ca & Mg), Nyos (N03). Spot check Ca and Mg with Red Sea kits. Everything seems to fit within the +/- accuracy ranges.

I've watched the BRS investigates lighting videos as well, went a bit higher to cover the 36" width. Can definitely see the affects of shading in the tank and understand the allure of a hybrid lighting system. The shaded out areas on the frag plug have a perfect outline in white of the Acro. LOL!

For lighting I went through and mapped out the PAR levels at various spots and depth within the tank. The top seems to get around 330 PAR with the powerheads turned off (else I would never get a stable reading with the Seneye). I have room to grow in terms of PAR and may look slowly adjusting the intensity over the course of the next few months to see the affects.

For the other coral in the tank, torches, zoas, blastos, lords, lepto and toadstool all seem to be doing very well. They consistently have the color pop I'm looking for, so hesitant to make lighting adjustments but definitely something in my toolbox.

I have a few more SPS's coming from the last live sale with a completely different color make up. Green Slimer Acro, Wooly Green Acro, Pink Stardust Mille and a Forest Fire Digi. Hoping to leverage them as my next tell tale to my current setup.

I think I got my tank to a place that will grow and sustain healthy animals but like always in this hobby, always looking to improve.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back