New to the Hobby and buying a troubled looking tank

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
To be perfectly clear I am brand new to the hobby so I could be completely wrong, but I think this Tank and fish have been neglected. I need help preparing myself a little priority-wise for helping this ecosystem. So please help me identify with the photos I have provided any problems that the tank has that will need to be fixed asap. I will be purchasing the tank next week and I will be sharing more photos when I have it in my possession.

The main thing I see is that the Yellow tang there looks like he is going to die with no fins and no color right?
I've been googling away and the only thing I have found is he might have something called HLLE, but nowhere on the internet have I found one as sick as him. I'm wondering can anyone identify this or is this another kind of tang that doesn't have fins?

ffff.jpg eeee.jpg ddd.jpg ccc.jpg aa.jpg bbbb.jpg

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adopting that fish would be a gamble. I would suggest trying to nurse it back to health in a separate tank or giving it to a more experienced hobbyist. If you do end up buying that tank, a thorough cleaning of the entire tank and sump would be optimal.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks ok. Tang looks bad. Here is one in similar shape.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Found it

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha beat you by a second.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi All,
To be perfectly clear I am brand new to the hobby so I could be completely wrong, but I think this Tank and fish have been neglected. I need help preparing myself a little priority-wise for helping this ecosystem. So please help me identify with the photos I have provided any problems that the tank has that will need to be fixed asap. I will be purchasing the tank next week and I will be sharing more photos when I have it in my possession.

The main thing I see is that the Yellow tang there looks like he is going to die with no fins and no color right?
I've been googling away and the only thing I have found is he might have something called HLLE, but nowhere on the internet have I found one as sick as him. I'm wondering can anyone identify this or is this another kind of tang that doesn't have fins?

Tang has a heavy case oh Face and lateral line erosion and most fins with exception of upper dorsal will grow back little. In this shape, they can still survive long term but will need adequate and proper diet. Some foods to feed are:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
@Portallands do you know of anyone that’s into this hobby that would be willing to help you with this? It will be a tough battle but with the help of an experienced person might be worth it if not then id definitely give the fish to someone with more experience for a better chance of survival of the fish losing a fish sucks especially when you first start in the hobby

OP
OP
P

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang has a heavy case oh Face and lateral line erosion and most fins with exception of upper dorsal will grow back little. In this shape, they can still survive long term but will need adequate and proper diet. Some foods to feed are:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally
Do you recommend quarantine and a specific treatment?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you recommend quarantine and a specific treatment?
You can quarantine but there is no specific treatment as this is progressive and a condition, not a disease

OP
OP
P

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Portallands do you know of anyone that’s into this hobby that would be willing to help you with this? It will be a tough battle but with the help of an experienced person might be worth it if not then id definitely give the fish to someone with more experience for a better chance of survival of the fish losing a fish sucks especially when you first start in the hobby
I don't know anyone yet but I have a 55-gallon that I'm going to plan to make the quarantine tank. Hopefully, I can find someone willing to rehab him before I buy the tank

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I don't know anyone yet but I have a 55-gallon that I'm going to plan to make the quarantine tank. Hopefully, I can find someone willing to rehab him before I buy the tank
Have you checked the local clubs on R2R in your state?

OP
OP
P

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos of him. I’ve been making sure that I put his food in first when feeding and I put fest sea weed in twice a day. He seems to be doing well, he eats a lot. But his side seems to be getting dark on his side, is this a bad sign? @vetteguy53081

Attachments

• IMG_4674.jpeg
    IMG_4674.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4671.jpeg
    IMG_4671.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 25

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

If there is a reef club or aquarium maintenance service around you, avail yourself of their expertise. You could be setting yourself up for one headache after another.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back