New to the hobby, do I need a controller?

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just getting into the hobby. I want a way to monitor PH, temp, possibly saltinity as well (not as important to me). I'm not so concerned, at least I don't think so...with having a controller control my pumps or lights or heater. I think I want a controller, but I'm not sure. (Also like the power bars that come with them). I was contemplating the reefkeeper lite plus. Any opinions, I appreciate.

SATXBrian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need one. I debated for quite a while about buying my Apex. In the end, I'm glad I did. It's not a get out of jail free card, but the ability to log in to my tank and get a snapshot of what is going on is very handy. I'm getting ready to add the leak detection module and the salinity/conductivity module. It won't replace my salinity check with my refractometer, but a quick glance will be handy.

So, no, in my opinion, you don't need one, there are plenty of beautiful and successful reef tanks out there that don't use one, but if you have the funds in your budget for one, I think it's a worthwhile investment.

Brian

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't Need a controller but they do make like a lot easier.

Personally I would go with the Full apex (not gold) as it will offer the
most bang for the buck and is easily the most popular controller out there.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't Need a controller but they do make like a lot easier.

Personally I would go with the Full apex (not gold) as it will offer the
most bang for the buck and is easily the most popular controller out there.

Off the top of my head the full apex is about $550 or so? What does it offer that the RKL lite plus doesn't? For half the price. Also should be noted I don't have a laptop, I would use a iPad or my iPhone to control or set up my controller...

heatdissipation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how tech savvy you are, and not sure you absolutely need a controller, no one absolutely needs it, but to control those basic functions with the ability to do anything else you could possibly ever want to do, then buy a reef angel. Right out of the box you could do everything you wanted very easily except for the salinity, that would require a different module you could get later if you wanted. For your needs it would be cheaper than an apex, and you could still have the possibility to do more in the future than you ever could even with a top of the line apex.

bigdan3489

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm newer to the hobby and have had my 75 g setup now for a month. I bought the RKL Lite and love it. It made setting everything up super easy. It's definitely not necessary but if you have the funds available I would definitely recommend one.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how tech savvy you are, and not sure you absolutely need a controller, no one absolutely needs it, but to control those basic functions with the ability to do anything else you could possibly ever want to do, then buy a reef angel. Right out of the box you could do everything you wanted very easily except for the salinity, that would require a different module you could get later if you wanted. For your needs it would be cheaper than an apex, and you could still have the possibility to do more in the future than you ever could even with a top of the line apex.

My saviness is limited to the access of only an iPad. Does the reef angel come out of the box, with the ability to monitor PH And temp? Also does anyone know if the RKL can be programmed from an iPad?

Reeferfourlife

Coral hoarder!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think when you just started reefing, you should do all you chemical checks manually. Just incase you ever have issues with a controller or power outage. Getting use to caveman style reefing is fun.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think when you just started reefing, you should do all you chemical checks manually. Just incase you ever have issues with a controller or power outage. Getting use to caveman style reefing is fun.
I like that. I guess I'm just thinking along the lines of stability.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a quality power bar, not to familiar with what makes a good power bar. I assume though, the ones that come with the controller are quality.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RKL cannot be programmed from an iPad. You can control it with a PC with myReef or the controller keypad. You can have limited control via a NET module. You cannot setup timers or alarms via the NET module. The RKL has a 4 module limit and is an entry level controller. You can upgrade to the RKE or Archon later on when you have the funds or need the extra abilities and use the modules from the RKL. The Archon can be programmed from any device that has a web browser as it is completly web based. That includes the iPad. As stated before you do not need a controller to be able to maintain a reef tank. It does make a few things easier due to automating some task.

Reeferfourlife

Coral hoarder!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that. I guess I'm just thinking along the lines of stability.
Stability is having good husbandry. Just need a good routin and not be lazy. Having a controller is good when you take longer vacations. It lets you know of tank conditions, so your not worry sick of what is going on. So get a good one when your ready.

heatdissipation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My saviness is limited to the access of only an iPad. Does the reef angel come out of the box, with the ability to monitor PH And temp? Also does anyone know if the RKL can be programmed from an iPad?
Yes the reef angel comes with the ability right out of the box, but if you aren't into the diy aspect of the reef angel I feel you would get frustrated and not enjoy it. I can't speak for the RKL, never had one, but from what I know they are a pretty basic entry level controller and might be exactly what you would need

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good discussion!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don't "need" one but man they make life so much easier and help you keep your tank thriving. They also help keep disasters from happening!

mniemann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm newer to the hobby and have had my 75 g setup now for a month. I bought the RKL Lite and love it. It made setting everything up super easy. It's definitely not necessary but if you have the funds available I would definitely recommend one.

I started with a RK Lite and it was fine for temp and lights but if yo are strictly a mac user get an apex jr... Digital aquatics does not really support macs

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a RK Lite and it was fine for temp and lights but if yo are strictly a mac user get an apex jr... Digital aquatics does not really support macs
The Archon by Digital Aquatics is friendly to the Mac, iPad, iPhone along with the Android devices. It is web based. The best web browser with it is Firefox, Safari work good also.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need one? Not really I suppose. But it's def nice to have. Controllers do more than just monitor now a days. They will send you emails and texts if something goes out of the set standard for certain settings letting you know something is wrong. They can also shut off certain pieces of equipment that are causing the issue until you can get it resolved. It's worth having just for that aspect alone imo

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back