New to the hobby, do I need a controller?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are limited options because it's a tough market to get into. The market is run by neptune apex and ghl. And in 3rd is the reef keeper, after that it's a crap shoot of different start ups and other smaller market controllers trying to fight their way to the top.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that it's the 21st century, and I think what makes a successful reef tank is stability... I bought a RKL plus.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest taking it slowy with equipment, what you actually need is pretty simple
I'm sure it is. But I just figure, it's stuff I will most likely buy in the future (knowing myself). And I'm not going to half butt it, but cheap stuff now, and replace it down the line. Going to do it right the first time. Having a controller won't make me lazy, I will still hand check my parameters, and stay on top of anything else the controller can do. (I personally enjoy taking care of a tank, maintaining it, makes it all worth while in the end.) I've been buying equipment on the forums here, as they come up. So far, my lights (two Kessil 360s) my Tunze 9004, and my RKL plus, have all been bought second hand, heavily discounted.

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My controller has saved my tank twice while I was away on short holidays. The first was when a pump seized. The second was when a heater failed. Both situations were remedied by calling in a friend as a lifeline, but without the controller sending me a text, I may have never known until it was too late to save my livestock. A worthwhile investment for sure.

I am a Neptune guy... I appreciate that the Neptune will get you controlling your system without any modifications to your home network. The controller simply needs connection to the Internet and you control it from the cloud.

Also keep in mind that the controller will act as several devices that you would otherwise want for your system. A reliable backup to the thermostat in your heaters, a lighting controller, an auto top-off, and just about anything else you can dream up.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controllers are nice but I suggest putting it off for awhile. Learn how your reef reacts manually first. Learn what water changes or top off does by observing the tank inhabitants. Play with your lighting levels and schedule and observe the coral growth and coloration. Track your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels and consumption and how much you need to supplement via two or three part additives, dosers or reactors.

I didn't get a controller of any kind for a couple years and I can honestly say I knew more about my reef then than I do now. Yes it saves time and can be a nice safety net but you kind of lose touch with the inner workings too.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controllers are nice but I suggest putting it off for awhile. Learn how your reef reacts manually first. Learn what water changes or top off does by observing the tank inhabitants. Play with your lighting levels and schedule and observe the coral growth and coloration. Track your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels and consumption and how much you need to supplement via two or three part additives, dosers or reactors.

I didn't get a controller of any kind for a couple years and I can honestly say I knew more about my reef then than I do now. Yes it saves time and can be a nice safety net but you kind of lose touch with the inner workings too.
That's some good advice. Like a said, I just purchased a RKL plus, but I think I'll take a lesson from you. Will use the controller for the bare minimum for now, mainly safety, and I wanted quality power bars. This was I can set up the tank how I want now, wires and everything labeled and well managed. I'll monitor everything myself, until I know the tank very well. I think that half the fun of this hobby, is the very intimidating learning curve, that you slowly get over. I'd like to be able to set up a reef in any condition, know the tank inside and out, what part A does to the tank vs. part B. That only comes with experiencing it first hand, not through a controller. (In my oppionion, like I've stated, this is my first tank, not even wet yet.)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just starting out don't buy one. There are so many other things you will need. An you really need to focus on learning about your aquarium and being hands on is very important.
Getting a controller will just add one more thing for you to distract you from your goal of maintaining a reef tank. It will not make you anymore successful.

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll learn to be a better reefer without one, but you'll also quickly be looking for ways to automate certain processes. I have inconsistent hours at work and frankly some days I just don't want to deal with the aquarium, so I need help feeding at consistent times. I could just get an autofeeder but there are so many other benefits to the Apex besides autofeeding that can possibly save your investment, such as leak monitoring, temperature alerts, etc.

Personally I didn't consider getting a controller until I started dropping some serious coin on this aquarium. Now I think of a controller as insurance. The stability of consistent feeding is just a bonus. I'm saving up for the full Apex, I am definitely a believer in "buy right or buy twice".

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just starting out don't buy one. There are so many other things you will need. An you really need to focus on learning about your aquarium and being hands on is very important.
Getting a controller will just add one more thing for you to distract you from your goal of maintaining a reef tank. It will not make you anymore successful.

How will a remote make me much less hands on? (Not being a jerk, just want your opinion) Like I said, really want one for a quality power bar, to check ph at a glance, temp at a glance, and just for safety reasons. In case something fails basically. I don't think I'll be using it for much else. I'll do my water changes weekly, check my parameters regularly. Still plan on being very hands on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll learn to be a better reefer without one, but you'll also quickly be looking for ways to automate certain processes. I have inconsistent hours at work and frankly some days I just don't want to deal with the aquarium, so I need help feeding at consistent times. I could just get an autofeeder but there are so many other benefits to the Apex besides autofeeding that can possibly save your investment, such as leak monitoring, temperature alerts, etc.

Personally I didn't consider getting a controller until I started dropping some serious coin on this aquarium. Now I think of a controller as insurance. The stability of consistent feeding is just a bonus. I'm saving up for the full Apex, I am definitely a believer in "buy right or buy twice".
Exactly! I like the way you think.

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have the budget to get everything at once, there are other gadgets that should be a higher priority IMO. I would get an auto top off (ATO) first and a method for supplementing Alk and Calcium, whether that be dosing pumps, a calcium reactor, etc. I also believe my sulphur denitrator is the most important piece of equipment underneath my tank, but there aren't many people who use them (yet?) so I know I'm out on a limb with that suggestion.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have the budget to get everything at once, there are other gadgets that should be a higher priority IMO. I would get an auto top off (ATO) first and a method for supplementing Alk and Calcium, whether that be dosing pumps, a calcium reactor, etc. I also believe my sulphur denitrator is the most important piece of equipment underneath my tank, but there aren't many people who use them (yet?) so I know I'm out on a limb with that suggestion.

Yeah, trying to find a decent Tunze ato. And I'll have to look more into dosing methods, still unfamiliar in that area. Any suggestions?

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Tunze as well for my ATO. I don't know much about pumps and dosing 2-part or 3-part for Alk, Ca, and Mg. Being honest with myself about the amount of effort I'm willing to put forward on a regular basis, buying those chemicals in bulk and mixing them up myself just seemed like more effort than I wanted to put in regularly (even while acknowledging that isn't much effort, lol). Therefore I decided to go with a calcium reactor instead. It has yet to arrive so I'm not familiar with it yet, but I went with the one that allows for the least maintenance, the Dastaco. The Dastaco is prohibitively expensive, so I would only suggest that if you have a generous budget. Other Ca reactors will work just fine, they will simply require more tweaking to get just right.

For more info about dosing 2- or 3-part and the pros/cons vs a Ca reactor, check out Randy Holmes-Farley's stickies at his forum here on R2R.

If you can't tell, my goal is to automate my tank as much as possible. We'd like to be able to leave for two weeks and not have to call in a friend to mind the tank. I've even fantasized about running water from my DT into a separate room with two plastic garbage cans and using the Apex doser to do automatic 30% water changes, lol!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will a remote make me much less hands on? (Not being a jerk, just want your opinion) Like I said, really want one for a quality power bar, to check ph at a glance, temp at a glance, and just for safety reasons. In case something fails basically. I don't think I'll be using it for much else. I'll do my water changes weekly, check my parameters regularly. Still plan on being very hands on.
Because you can do all that without a controller

I have a Ranco controller for temperature 50 bucks never fails I have used them for 30 years on aquariums an in my work as an industrial automation tech. PH you will know that by looking at your tank. You will see the effects. The power at on a controller is nothing special really just has addressable outlets. I am sure you want to get a good skimmer and powerheads and doser or calcium reactor.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rattled this same question in my head for the last year. Been doing freshwater for the last 3 years or more. Started saltwater reefing, just over a year ago. I've been sticking to nano tanks. But yes, the same question has been floating around. After so many learning curves, I would say a controller just isn't for me, at this time. I've been manually checking parameters and observing coral growth, etc etc. One thing I've never checked was PH. Mostly because I perform 25% water changes weekly. That said, I know the PH doesnt fluctuate that much. Now, the cheapo refractometer I was using(even with 35ppt calibration solution) was giving me inaccurate readings for, well i dont know how long. Although, recently I purchased a Milwaukee refractometer and will never look at the cheapo unit ever again. As far as temp goes, I have two heaters and two thermometers.

I think if I traveled more(which I rarely travel) I would most likely depend on the controller. Till, then i think they are just more for "cool" factor and more or less impractical. You know, if you got the money? Why the heck not?? Right?

Happy reef keeping!!

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*cough* I mean, yeah! you should get the $1500 one. you'd be the coolest reefer on the block. Showing people how to turn off your pumps with a smart phone. yay...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%

Back