New to the hobby, do I need a controller?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*cough* I mean, yeah! you should get the $1500 one. you'd be the coolest reefer on the block. Showing people how to turn off your pumps with a smart phone. yay...
Hah well duh, if you don't have the best most expensive gear, you're clearly not doing it right.

reeftasticllc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just getting into the hobby. I want a way to monitor PH, temp, possibly saltinity as well (not as important to me). I'm not so concerned, at least I don't think so...with having a controller control my pumps or lights or heater. I think I want a controller, but I'm not sure. (Also like the power bars that come with them). I was contemplating the reefkeeper lite plus. Any opinions, I appreciate.
Milwaukee Instruments has some new controllers getting ready to be available shortly. The DL125 controler is a pH and ORP controller WiFi unit. You can connect to the web portal and check on your parameters from anywhere in the world. You can also make changes to your controller from the web portal. It has all the caution and critical alert notifications via text or email. You can set temperature alerts as well. It has data logging in the cloud as well as on the unit itself. The device has visual alert lights so at a glance you can tell if something is wrong or not. They also have a pH independant dosing controller unit called the DL122 WiFi unit and an ORP independant dosing controller unit called the DL510. You can check them out on the Milwaukee Instruments website. I heard the DL125 cost is somewhere around $300.00 and comes with everything you need right out of the box.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went for so long without a controller that I honestly really just use my rkl as a saftey measure for temp. Never did get the ph probe running. It is a great timer, too! Lol

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went for so long without a controller that I honestly really just use my rkl as a saftey measure for temp. Never did get the ph probe running. It is a great timer, too! Lol
That's how I look at it. I have a lot of money invested in this tank, and would hate to lose my stock because of heater failing.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SL1 is a module the pH and ORP ports are on thr SL1 module with 2 switch input ports and a temp port. The RKL should come with a iTemp probe though. The newer packaged come with the SLX module instead of the SL1. It should also have 1 or 2 PC4 modules or PB4 modules.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went and bought a full apex off a guy on eBay did I need it not. I was running freshwater. But I didn't know better and I had the money. Since then I have the leak module which saved us, a heater went out of wack the apex saved the tank I bought vortech WP10 pumps and they work fine. so I love it and now that I'm going to saltwater I'll get the salinity probe as well. Although I was a web developer I dint know programming and with the Apex fusion ( web based) it very easy.
As was said its not needed it if you afford go for it

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you definitely don't need one. I have around 500 gallons total volume in my system among 3 different tanks and don't have one. (But I wish I did) just my advice is if you get one do it right and get an apex. I bought a RKE and it was junk.. I don't run one now just because I'm on disability now and can no longer afford the things I used to.

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a tank after a few years out of the hobby, so I'm jumping in here. Considering going with a controller. What all can be monitored with these different controllers: cal, alk, mag, what, aside from pH, salinity, temp, and current? TIA guys

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp, ORP, pH and salinity are the most common. I don't think other three you mention are monitored by any currently available controller. Most have switch inputs and variable outputs for controlling variable pumps or lighting. The switch inputs can be used for float switches, push button switches and leak diction to name a few uses.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you definitely don't need one. I have around 500 gallons total volume in my system among 3 different tanks and don't have one. (But I wish I did) just my advice is if you get one do it right and get an apex. I bought a RKE and it was junk.. I don't run one now just because I'm on disability now and can no longer afford the things I used to.
I used a RKE for years without any issues. What kind of trouble are having with it?

mniemann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the top of my head the full apex is about $550 or so? What does it offer that the RKL lite plus doesn't? For half the price. Also should be noted I don't have a laptop, I would use a iPad or my iPhone to control or set up my controller...

You'll need a laptop to update the firmware on both apex and rke... In my experience the DA stuff is much less Mac friendly. That's the whole reason I switched from the lite DA to Neptune

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you don't need a controller. It's like buying insurance, you'll wish you had it the first time something goes wrong. Things will go wrong . Lol ... If your in the market buy an Apex . With all the money spent in this hobby it's a very nice piece of mind to have. I'm very happy with mine so far.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the end it makes quite a few things easier. Think of them as a glorified power strip..
I started with the apex but it's main outlets are TRIAC based and then you have to pay extra for mechanical. So any device below 10-20 watts will have problems switching off. They also charge a lot for every single device.
The Reef Angel is what I switched to, it comes with mechanical outlets as a standard. The bonus to the RA I've not found anywhere else (except the RKL/Archon iirc which can use RA devices) is the rope leak detector. So you can surround the tank and detect a leak anywhere around it, vs other controllers that give you a little 2"x2" sensor. (because you know if a leak happens it's going to run right to that little sensor :D )

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back