New to the hobby need help

JayCalifornia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, im fairly new and was wondering if im doing things correctly so far for my 75 gallon tank i set up a few months ago. So far I've slowly added fish about 1 fish every 2 weeks. I started off with a Fiji devil damsel, then moved on to a niger trigger, a banded moray and now a blood orange clownfish. I also have a medium sized Christmas wrasse in my hospital tank hopefully to be added in the next few weeks. I made sure the clownfish and the damsel are bigger than the trigger so they don’t potentially become a meal. They all seem to get along right now nobody really bothers anyone. Ive been doing research everytime ive added a fish and was wondering if im doing everything fine as far as compatibility. Also what else should i add or should i not add any more? I have a cascade 1000 canister filter and an eshops 75 skimmer on my tank. I do water changes every friday and clean the canister filter every month is that a good routine? I feed them brine shrimp and frozen krill to the eel everyday. Im probrably just overthinking but i want to make sure I'm taking care of my fish properly and having the right routines down pack.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

The Niger trigger fish will eventually out grow the tank and potentially eat the other fish you have. They can grow up to a foot in size. That's big for a 75 gallon 4' tank. The fish you have selected are "aggressive" and adding a Christmas wrasse to the mix will not end well for the wrasse. They are more "community" fish and like more docile environments.

Feeding aggressive fish regularly will help, but I would reconsider the wrasse.

OP
OP
J

JayCalifornia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

The Niger trigger fish will eventually out grow the tank and potentially eat the other fish you have. They can grow up to a foot in size. That's big for a 75 gallon 4' tank. The fish you have selected are "aggressive" and adding a Christmas wrasse to the mix will not end well for the wrasse. They are more "community" fish and like more docile environments.

Feeding aggressive fish regularly will help, but I would reconsider the wrasse.
Awesome thank you, i wont add the wrasse then! As far as the trigger i can rehome him to a much bigger tank when the time comes he's just a baby right now. What else can i add or should i leave the stock how it is?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t add anything more. You have some fish that will grow quite large. The moray and trigger will grow fast and will probably eat the damsel, clown and wrasse in about a years time. Enjoy them while they are small, but have a plan for them as they get bigger. You may find you enjoy the aggressive fish more and then just rehome the smaller fish and shrimp. Or the other way around. Good luck Jay and welcome to R2R.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%

Back