New to the hobby so much help needed!

jtomasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing advice, one thing, dont just say use "any" marine plants, there are significant downsides to some plants, ie sexing and having the macro algae literally TAKE OVER everything. 90% of people use cheato - which DOES NOT turn a sexual.

OP
OP
R

Reefdiver77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it better to have one power head or multiple? If multiple do I point them all in same direction or mix it up and where do I put them and where do I face them down midwater or surface

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

jtomasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answers to your questions depend on what you ultimately intend to have in your tank...Fish only, most all methods and equipment will work, SPS dominant, thats another story.

jtomasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the nicest tanks I have seen have 3 - two on opposite sides (depending on budget, having them anti-sync w/ random turbulent flow or one on for a given amount of time, one off and vise versa). and another one on the back wall pointing forward.

OP
OP
R

Reefdiver77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so at the surface midwater or down or does it not matter
Please explain if I have one, two or three
I.e. one up two down or none down all up etc?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want any dead spots in the tank. Different corals require higher flows. I have a 240g tank, using 6400gph with 2 poweheads located on opposite sides of the tank. That's some good flow.
Caulerpa would be the macro algae he was referring to as a possible issues if it goes asexual.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Reefdiver77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm just been thinking how can I be sure that the tank will not be too heavy when full for the floor in my apartment?

jtomasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same concern as I live on the second floor. Most threads I have seen say anything over 90 or 120 is pushing it. I remember seeing one that was 200 or so but he got a home builder (friend) to look at the support under the tank (easily seen in the basement)

jtomasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if it's against a wall with, haha not sure what they are called, but the main supports are under it perpendicular so its over multiple boards it's better. Is it enough? You'll know when it goes through the floor!

OP
OP
R

Reefdiver77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok after much consideration I have had to buy much smaller! I have bought an aqua reef 300. I couldn't bear the thought of buying the 180gallon only to see it fall through the floor!

Anyway time to start the plans all over folks!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have made a good choice to start smaller with your first tank. I would recommend that you pick up a couple of good starter books:

The New Marine Aquarium, Paletta

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, Fenner

There are many books out there to choose from, but these are great beginner books that have stood the test of time. Read them both a couple of times and you will avoid many problems and mistakes. Welcome to the wonderful world of marine aquariums!

OP
OP
R

Reefdiver77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mike&Terry thanks for the advice and support I have been on eBay and ordered those exact two books you have recommended and I will read and take note. I am determined to do this properly to create the most natural environment possible!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back