New to the hobby

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mixing saltwater is annoying... its either too high or too low

Find a system that works easy for you. I use to have a 13 gallon trashcan with a line that marked 10 gallon. 10 gallons of water and 5.5 cups of salt. Consistent and easy. Get a couple 5 gallon water jugs if you only wanna change a few gallons at a time and store what is left. Mixing 10 gallons of water meant enough for weekly water changes for over 2 months on a 14 gallon cube.

There is always an easier way to do things and in this hobby, it's best to find the easiest way.

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is my sand supposed to fog up my entire tank when i put the water in?

New sand? Absolutely. It's actually easier to do the water first then put the sand in. Either open the bag underwater and slowly pour it out or use a funnel or tube to pour the sand down. Go to walmart and get a bottle of "Crystal Clear" from the fish section. Comes in a little yellow package and cost about $2.50 Works great for clearing up the cloudyness from new gear. In the future, consider filter floss.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely hair algae. Nanos are great for new aquarist. Cheap to take care of and easy to see all the neat things that goes on in ur tank and all the critters u don't see in a big tank.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

fireman23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the wonderful world of saltwater. First let me start by saying research and patience are key. There are alot of great people in the club with vast amounts of knowledge and are willing to.share. Dont be afraid to ask questions. We all started from newbie status. You should definetly check out the meetings. I would go to more if i were closer. Welcome aboard and to a new found addiction

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a par38 with 12 LEDs and UV from rapidled, should that be enough for SPS in my 10 gallon?

Should be but its hard to maintain sps in such a small tank. At least to have them keep color and grow well. Don't buy any sps untill ur least 6 months into the tank and have a handle on your tanks parameters

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
T

thegrilledcheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the intention I'm going to start with zoas mushrooms and some toadies, because xenia and kenya is apparently the herpes of marine aquariums

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia was my credit line at Aquatic Critter for over a year. Close to $1,000. Seriously, And I still have it growing like mad in my 10 gallon nano. So i am proud to say that I had herpes:tongue:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back