OP
C

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I made a purchase today! It took a lot to make because I am so scared of killing fish and hate the thought of losing fish. I really really need to figure out a qt situation and figure out how to do it and so on. anyways, i bought a baby blue tang with 2 lyretail anthias. one of the anthias is male and other female. please let me know if i made a mistake lol. i know blue tang will get too big for this 75g but this tank was a way for me to get some experience and figure out what to do for only 300 bucks. my dream is to set up the 120g tank my neighbor gave me 2 years ago. its been sitting in my basement.

found a good lfs near me and been talking to the owner alot. he does have copper in his tanks. he told me the blue tang has been in copper for a week and no sign of anything. the anthias have been in his tank for a whole month. they were the same tank as the blue tang. he told me copper was 2ppm.

i brought home and drip acclimated for an hour. i was going to do a freshwater dip but i was so scared of stressing the blue tang out and didnt know if this tank i bought has ich in it and it might get the fish once added. the blue tang is very very active and at the lfs it was eating like crazy. i did notice it eating some nori in my tank, but very little. he seems to be going crazy on the side when he sees his reflection.

let me know any thoughts and advice please!

SlipperyWhipple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I made a purchase today! It took a lot to make because I am so scared of killing fish and hate the thought of losing fish. I really really need to figure out a qt situation and figure out how to do it and so on. anyways, i bought a baby blue tang with 2 lyretail anthias. one of the anthias is male and other female. please let me know if i made a mistake lol. i know blue tang will get too big for this 75g but this tank was a way for me to get some experience and figure out what to do for only 300 bucks. my dream is to set up the 120g tank my neighbor gave me 2 years ago. its been sitting in my basement.

found a good lfs near me and been talking to the owner alot. he does have copper in his tanks. he told me the blue tang has been in copper for a week and no sign of anything. the anthias have been in his tank for a whole month. they were the same tank as the blue tang. he told me copper was 2ppm.

i brought home and drip acclimated for an hour. i was going to do a freshwater dip but i was so scared of stressing the blue tang out and didnt know if this tank i bought has ich in it and it might get the fish once added. the blue tang is very very active and at the lfs it was eating like crazy. i did notice it eating some nori in my tank, but very little. he seems to be going crazy on the side when he sees his reflection.

let me know any thoughts and advice please!
How big is the tang so far and when do you plan on getting the 120 set up? Also, what do you have in your 75g currently? Personally I bought a couple of clowns from my LFS that said they will never sell a sick fish. They do a FW dip and keep them in copper as well so I wasn’t worried. I didn’t quarantine and that is a debate here amongst us all but that’s your call. It is a good practice for sure but I think it is more important when you have an established tank with a lot more money invested. The good thing is that you have a plan for a bigger setup and so even if the tang gets large, you have another home for him/her. If all your other fish seem healthy I wouldn’t worry about it. Best you can do it keep a close eye on it everyday and if there is any sign of trouble, do some more investigation to determine a root cause. I.e. ich, velvet, ammonia...

OP
OP
C

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tang so far and when do you plan on getting the 120 set up? Also, what do you have in your 75g currently? Personally I bought a couple of clowns from my LFS that said they will never sell a sick fish. They do a FW dip and keep them in copper as well so I wasn’t worried. I didn’t quarantine and that is a debate here amongst us all but that’s your call. It is a good practice for sure but I think it is more important when you have an established tank with a lot more money invested. The good thing is that you have a plan for a bigger setup and so even if the tang gets large, you have another home for him/her. If all your other fish seem healthy I wouldn’t worry about it. Best you can do it keep a close eye on it everyday and if there is any sign of trouble, do some more investigation to determine a root cause. I.e. ich, velvet, ammonia...

the tang is about 1.5-2 inches maybe. I did watch him for a few hours before lights went out. I put I sheet of nori on the glass and he wasn't interested unless a piece broke off, then he would go after the small pieces. not going to lie, that made me feel so good watching him eat. he got relaxed and was swimming around fine except for the few times he would jerk around and swim fast at his reflection and try to fight it.

my current livestock:
2 clown fish (biggest being 1.5 inches)
1 cleaner shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
1 lawnmower blenny
2 anthias (1 male about 2 inches. female about 1.5 inches).
1 sea serpent star fish

coral:
1 big hammer that came with the tank (has like 7 big heads with about 10 baby heads
1 medium toadstool
2 zoa frags
some purple and red shrooms and a few small leather

on a side note. When I added the anthias today, the male immediately swam over to the cleaner shrimp and started getting cleaned. he has spent about 30+ minutes total being cleaned. cool to see but kinda worries me that maybe he has something? any advice on this? i know its cool but is this normal normal? i am praying the hippo goes to the cleaner shrimp lol.

OP
OP
C

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my ultimate goal is to add a powder blue and yellow tang to this tank and then be done. What are your thoughts? Should I add a baby yellow and pbt now? Or wait a few weeks until baby hippo gets used to the tank?

I called my lfs and they said they have a baby pbt that’s been in copper over there for about 3 weeks. And a baby yellow tang that’s been in copper for 2 weeks. Please help lol

Back