New to the hobby

Lobot

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 13, 2020
Messages
22
Reaction score
37
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, very excited to start my first saltwater fish only tank. I have a 55 gal and have everything except a filter and light. I was thinking a HOB Aquaclear 110 for the filter and i would appreciate any info on inexpensive lights, preferably with a timer either included or as an add on.
 
Welcome to R2R!
Did you have a preference on lighting as far as LED, T5?
 
welcome34.gif
 
Aquaclear on a 55g will be innefective as its rated for a smaller tank. I would look at Penguin 550 or similar double chamber unit and one that has a bio wheel or room to add chenipure and other media
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef! You're going to get a ton of different answers on lighting. But at this point you can't really go wrong, LED, T5 with good bulbs(ATI), hybrid, Halide, they're all great options. But I'd say don't run halide on a 55g. I've done it.
 
Welcome to R2R!!!

Clownfish.gif
 
If you are fish only and do not plan on corals, go for a nice little led that is plug and play from phone. I have these cheap fixtures and they put out good light in lots of colors: Aquatic Life Reno WiFi RGBW LED Aquarium Light Fixtures with Phone App
 
Welcome to reef2reef. sounds like you're well on your way to a good setup. You should find good people and plenty of great information here.
As far as a suggestion on LED lighting I believe inexpensive is a relative term to your current situation. If you would have asked me five years ago, my inexpensive would have been a lot different than it is today. I went with the AI Prime and I feel like to me it was an inexpensive option with great quality.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new