New to the reef game

  • Thread starter Thread starter AustinB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AustinB

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 25, 2018
Messages
88
Reaction score
108
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first saltwater tank about 3 months ago. Since then things progressed so quickly that I had to ditch my makeshift reef tank and all of the hob equipment. I found a Red Sea max 250 online for only $300! That’s cheaper than the next lighting upgrade my other tank desperately needed. Also the sale included all of his spare equipment, food, chemicals, live rock, etc. I rushed everything home and kept the live rock alive, caught all of the bristle worms and quarantined the rock for about 2 weeks. Most if not all of the mushroom corals survived, reds and recordia yumas. Tank parameters were stable after 3 days using live wet rock and 40 lbs of caribsea Fiji pink. Fish entered new tank yesterday, 2 ocelaris clowns, domino damsel, a blue and gold damsel, lawnmower blenny, and a handful of blue leg hermits and snails. Im going let it settle for a few weeks but I need to get to work on some kind of macro algae reactor or if at all possible, a bottom sump for easier access.
459d36d2affe724a8cb6add8b13be102.jpg
 
Welcome to R2R!
ezgif-2-87e260e22b7f.gif
#WelcometoR2R
 
Welcome to R2R! :D Looks like you've got a steal of a deal going!
 
Welcome and have fun.

By the way I would have left bristle worms. They are scavengers and consume uneaten food and detritus.

I would’ve too, but they terrified the wife. She didn’t like knowing they were in there visible or not
 
I would’ve too, but they terrified the wife. She didn’t like knowing they were in there visible or not

They mostly stay hidden but my wife freaked out as well. Do you have the small feather dusters as well?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new