new to torches

Birdman3611

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first ever torch which I am stoked about. I have kept many hammers and a few frogspawn before with lots of success. I bought a small $60 dollar Aussie torch and after a week, most of it has receded. I have heard that Aussie torches are way harder to keep then Indo torches. Is this true? What can I do different if I get another torch?

Bobblehead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 2/2 with Indo torches and 0/1 with Aussie. 6 months and going strong with Indo and only 2 months with the Aussie. Mind you, I am going through some issues with my tank but so far the Indo’s are chugging along just fine.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low to moderate flow. Low to moderate light. Feed at least weekly with LPS pellets, reef roids paste or mysis. 77 degree tank.

I have never kept a indo torch, but I have a couple aussie golds that have been growing well using the above criteria.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 1/2 with torches. I have one I got as my first coral, not doing too well, 2 heads died, 2 remain and they dont open as much as i would like... Then the other one I ordered about 2 months ago, placed in the sandbed, is doing SUPER! never had any issues with it, always fully extended, love it. although it almost killed my clowns, its great. I probably wont be getting any more torches though, just softies and maybe a frogspawn

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a few of each and I've lost a few of each over the years. I can't say that I've noticed one more sensitive than the other. Both need similar requirements as far as flow, chemistry and lighting. Bleaching is an easy identifier for too much light and shrinkage might be too much flow. They'll still look healthy under lower flow.

I've received them with flatworms so dipping is important for both. Avoid bumping the edges around the mouth. Breaking the skeleton near the mouth has resulted in infection for me. One fell off the frag and tumbled down the scape and the other was clipped by my tongs while I was moving stuff around. They're both sensitive to that.

Back