New to ZOA, new to this problem

PediatricNemo

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 4, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
British Columbia
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

Super excited to get to chat with you all. I am new to the hobby, but I come from a background of biochemistry and aqua culture during my undergraduate.

I currently own a 10G tank with live rock, live sand, x6 snails and an oscellaris clownfish.

I’m running the Fluval marine Nano-LED light with Bluetooth settings simulating a natural sleep/wake cycle.

I added x2 frags of Zoanthids into my tank around 17 days ago (Pinwheel & blowpop). For the first two weeks, fantastic results. Although they are small, roughly 1/8”-1/4” in diameter, they immediately opened when placed into the tank, and started growing new heads during that period (from 4-5 per frag, to 7-8 per frag).

Recently my girlfriend whom I share my space with left a curtain open in the aquarium room, and direct, hot sunlight shone onto the Zoanthids for roughly 5-6 hours. I came home, realized, and immediately closed the curtain. The Zoanthids reacted by closing up, and aside from 1-2 random polyps, they have not opened since. They’ve began stretching noticeably, around 3/4” in length and cupping since. Just see small tentacles coming out.

Essentially, I’m wondering if I’m absolutely hooped, or if this is natural and they should resume their normal behaviour once readjusting to the light in the aquarium? Or did they get a taste of the sun, and will never be the same? Haha.

Thanks very much for your time and I look forward to your expert responses.

Kindest regards,
Pediatric Nemo
 
Hey there,

Super excited to get to chat with you all. I am new to the hobby, but I come from a background of biochemistry and aqua culture during my undergraduate.

I currently own a 10G tank with live rock, live sand, x6 snails and an oscellaris clownfish.

I’m running the Fluval marine Nano-LED light with Bluetooth settings simulating a natural sleep/wake cycle.

I added x2 frags of Zoanthids into my tank around 17 days ago (Pinwheel & blowpop). For the first two weeks, fantastic results. Although they are small, roughly 1/8”-1/4” in diameter, they immediately opened when placed into the tank, and started growing new heads during that period (from 4-5 per frag, to 7-8 per frag).

Recently my girlfriend whom I share my space with left a curtain open in the aquarium room, and direct, hot sunlight shone onto the Zoanthids for roughly 5-6 hours. I came home, realized, and immediately closed the curtain. The Zoanthids reacted by closing up, and aside from 1-2 random polyps, they have not opened since. They’ve began stretching noticeably, around 3/4” in length and cupping since. Just see small tentacles coming out.

Essentially, I’m wondering if I’m absolutely hooped, or if this is natural and they should resume their normal behaviour once readjusting to the light in the aquarium? Or did they get a taste of the sun, and will never be the same? Haha.

Thanks very much for your time and I look forward to your expert responses.

Kindest regards,
Pediatric Nemo
Welcome to R2R!

I've not had this experience, what I will say is you should just monitor them, and I imagine they will come back around. They are probably just annoyed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.8%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new