New to zoas

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I’m going to get a zoa later today and I’ve done some research and know there toxic my question is when I get him and go to place in my tank should I wear a glove? Sorry the question might sound dumb. Haha

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I’m going to get a zoa later today and I’ve done some research and know there toxic my question is when I get him and go to place in my tank should I wear a glove? Sorry the question might sound dumb. Haha
its a good question with zoas.
If they are underwater I don't wear gloves (as long as you don't have an open cut). If I'm fragging them or scrubbing them outside of the tank then I wear gloves and safety glasses. They little things can squirt pretty good.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not dumb at all!

Yes, zoas carry a substance called palytoxin which can be very rough on the human body. While it is not necessary to wear gloves when handling them, you should always be careful with them and try not to smush them. If you ever venture into fragging zoas, always wear latex or nitrile gloves and eye protection. Always wash your hands after handling them and never rub your eyes before washing your hands. Treat them like you would treat hot peppers and you'll be fine.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Always take precautions and be mindful when handling/fragging zoas...
But this whole “all zoas are toxic” thing is overblown.
Palys are the ones that can be filled with palytoxin, but generally they’re the uglier gigantic polyps that are not very desirable

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like everyone has the gloves thing covered, but not the placement. Zoas are pretty good about placement in that you really can place them just about everywhere. If they're at the bottom and aren't getting enough light then they'll extend towards it. I'd probably start them at the bottom and move them anywhere. I'd like for them all to lay flat so I usually put them in the middle of my tank.

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what is a normal price for zoas or does it very a lot? I wouldn’t like to over pay for it and thank you everyone for all the advice

Last edited:

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what is a normal price for zoas or does it very a lot? I wouldn’t like to over pay for it and thank you everyone for all the advice
Zoas can be anywhere from a small colony for $20 or one polyp for $100, just matters what you're looking for

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around my area:
If you buy 3 frags then you pay for 30 bucks, 1 for 15 each.
If you buy a whole rock, small or large colony then the price start from $35 up to $85 per rock that fill with zoas, in some rare occasion they selling an awesome rare color zoas rock then the price can be up to $200.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Zoas can be anywhere from a small colony for $20 or one polyp for $100, just matters what you're looking for

Or $400 for that matter. At the end of the day buy zoas because you like the color. It's also a name game so be aware that some people will slap a cb, jf or just about any other initials on a name and tell you its worth X dollars. Don't believe it. Start out with common strains and then once you get a feel for the market start dabbling in the pricier polyps.

Also, if you're looking to keep zoas get acquainted with performing lugols dips as its a great way to save struggling frags.

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone thanks a lot for all the help! So I’ve had the little guy for around a day now and I’ve seen no signs of him opening I have him at the very bottom of my tank not in high flow so zoas usally do this?i check parameters all are where they should be

Last edited:

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone thanks a lot for all the help! So I’ve had the little guy for around a day now and I’ve seen no signs of him opening I have him at the very bottom of my tank not in high flow so zoas usally do this?i check parameters all are where they should be
Yeah, zoas are kinda iffy when moved to a new tank, I've had certain ones not open for a week after getting them

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, zoas are kinda iffy when moved to a new tank, I've had certain ones not open for a week after getting them
So should I just let him be and wait a while? What would be signs on weather or not to move it?

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I just let him be and wait a while? What would be signs on weather or not to move it?
I'd leave them be, if the polyps start turning brown then you have a problem. Other than that just give them a few days

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I got a picutre of the mother colony of the zoa I just got that hasn’t opened yet.I was wondering if you could ID it for me and tell me if there sensitive, hardy, fast growing or slow stuff like that.

B06C11DE-B80F-4EBC-A5D8-DF6A70F3CBD1.jpeg

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I got a picutre of the mother colony of the zoa that I have I was wondering if you could I’d and tell me if there sensitive, hardy, fast growing or slow stuff like that.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hey guys I got a picutre of the mother colony of the zoa I just got that hasn’t opened yet.I was wondering if you could ID it for me and tell me if there sensitive, hardy, fast growing or slow stuff like that.

B06C11DE-B80F-4EBC-A5D8-DF6A70F3CBD1.jpeg

That appears to be a Tree House of Horror. They're sensitive to fragging and are prone to melting... not particularly fast growers others. As a disclaimer people's experiences may vary but I recently lost my colony after nearly a year.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back