New "used" tank.. Yeah or Nay

Dastins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a really good deal on a 90 gallon tank online. I haven't set it up yet and its been dry for about a year. The tag on the bottom says manufactured in 1996. I've heard that a tank more than a few years old isn't fit to use. It's there any way to test the structural integrity of the tank without risking a collapse?

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well when you consider there are people on this forum that have had the same tank setup for 20-30 or even 40 years, I think a tank from 96 is ok. but if youre concerned you can reseal the tank pretty easily.

OP
OP
Dastins

Dastins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just worried because it's been dry for a good while. I don't see any damage or cracking. Didn't know if there was any way of testing before filling.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not really. you can fill it outside and let it sit for a week and see if it leaks.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not buy used glass I've almost burned down my house and also did successfully destroy the kitchen and 1500 sq foot finished basement because of used glass. No, no, no. Not for me.

If it needs sealed even more no...

Not worth it. I buy everything else used though

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive bought new tanks and had blow outs and bought used tanks and they've been perfect. but ive bought more new tanks that held water than used.. but that's why I use RTV 108 instead of regular silicone lol. I do a complete reseal on any used tanks now a days.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is resealing an aquarium that trivial? I thought you could not bond silicone to old silcone and needed to completely remove all silicone from the old panels as well the trim and completely rebuild the tank?

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, it wont bond to the old silicone, you scape it all except for whats between the glass panels. that's not the seal that holds the water in, that's the structural bond that holds the tank together. its fine. you put the silicone on with full contact on all seams and youre fine.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used ASI silicone to reseal tanks. I use it now to install baffles. Like @3FordFamily i no longer buy used tanks, just equipment.

OP
OP
Dastins

Dastins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have just waited for PetSmart's dollar a gallon sale and then argued the tax with them.

jonneyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this post is a couple weeks old but Dtackett is right its very easy to reseal a tank, remove all silicone inside tank, clean with acetone, and re-silicone. first tank I did was 24" tall octagon corner tank 2 years ago, no leaks and still holding strong.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back