New Vectra 2 pumps announced

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish they had have made the controllers white instead of the same black as the 1st version;Shifty:(

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish they had have made the controllers white instead of the same black as the 1st version;Shifty:(

I believe that EcoTech uses the same black outer case for all of their controllers in order to to save money. There is an S1 sticker over the “W” light on my controller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see from the picture there is a sticker that says S1 placed right on top of the "W" light.
IMG_0115.jpeg

Last edited:

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they're just trying to fix some of the prob's with first gen pumps to me. Can't find a head pressure vs flow graph on any of the Vectra stuff anymore.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no Apex WXM compatibility. Heck, even a 0-10v VDM interface would have been nice. :(

Yeah, pretty underwhelming. Looks to be mostly a reliability/thermal management play.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually makes perfect sense to me (but I'm a 30 year manufacturing guy, so …..).

No I agree it makes sense business wise, it's just a ridiculously cheap move for a $500+ pump IMO. Plus if they are that cheap I doubt they will ever come out with apex compatible pumps. Much more money to be made selling there reef links;Greedy

But if they are fine tuning the other issues with the Vectra with this update that's always a good thing :)

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt they will ever come out with apex compatible pumps.

Yeah, the lack of apex control is annoying. What is curious is that the recently announced coralvue third-party pump controller does appear to have Vectra control.

zer0salinity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Vectra L1 started to get the bubbling on the motor side of the impeller housing as well, it still runs but I wanted to address the issue before an event occurs. I called ecotech and after putting a presentation and pictures together for them to review live on the phone with me, they said they will send me a new replacement pump which is the upgraded L2.
I love ecotech for standing by their product. I am sure if people make enough phone calls about their issues, the engineers will design and make the pump more safe, reliable and robust. Hands down, their customer service is the best which is why all my pumps are Ecotech. (4 x Mp40's and vectra soon to be L2).

Miker79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m disappointed that ecotech does not sell the L2 volute so you can turn your L1 into an L2. The larger bulkhead fitting at the pump is definitely an improvement over the L1 coupling. Like most people I’m impatient and I opened my L1 to see how it would fit before I tear everything out so returning it is not an option anymore. ARRRRG

Mike

Weedage66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same thing its looks like. But it eventually failed (3 days ago) I got a ticket in with support and send them pictures and video of it. Video attached to show what mine was doing when it died. They are sending me a new L2 Unit also, but only the motor. I guess they still use the same controller and power supplies. They had to take my Credit card on file to send me a new one and if they determine that it was not their fault they will charge me full price for the motor they sent. Makes me nervous as I don't want to pay another $450+ for a motor that only lasted 3 years. I keep my equipment clean and there was no calcium buildup on the motor or magnet. Just looks like a temperature control issue. I also ran my pump at a 1/3 of the power so it would last longer.

Here are the changes to the L2

What's New with Generation 2?

• Input and Output Couplers
  • New base
  • Tougher Motor Sleeve - I'm guessing because of the temperature control issues.
  • Improved Thermal Management - Same as above
  • Improved Ergonomics

My Vectra L1 started to get the bubbling on the motor side of the impeller housing as well, it still runs but I wanted to address the issue before an event occurs. I called ecotech and after putting a presentation and pictures together for them to review live on the phone with me, they said they will send me a new replacement pump which is the upgraded L2.
I love ecotech for standing by their product. I am sure if people make enough phone calls about their issues, the engineers will design and make the pump more safe, reliable and robust. Hands down, their customer service is the best which is why all my pumps are Ecotech. (4 x Mp40's and vectra soon to be L2).

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back