OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What downsides are possible with vodka? Any difference on their effect on p04? I'm content with the results of vodka, but always wondered if I'm missing out on anything.. sound like "leave good enough alone"(?)
The major downside of vodka is that it has the highest likelihood of fueling cyano. If you aren’t seeing a Cyano increase, I’d keep using vodka. It is less likely to fuel dinos.

Carbon dosing with vinegar or vodka is ineffective for phosphates. You’ll most likely bottom out nitrates long before phosphates reduce.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The major downside of vodka is that it has the highest likelihood of fueling cyano. If you aren’t seeing a Cyano increase, I’d keep using vodka. It is less likely to fuel dinos.

Carbon dosing with vinegar or vodka is ineffective for phosphates. You’ll most likely bottom out nitrates long before phosphates reduce.
Can you do me a favor - provide evidence that vodka has the 'highest' likelihood of fueling cyano?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice post.

Perhaps you may like to note that distilled vinegar (which is common in the US) is not the same as fermented vinegar.

Fermented vinegar is very common in some countries and may have some unwanted side effects if used.
Done. Thank you for the suggestion. The first post was updated.

Special thanks to @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal for helping me perfect the grammar in the guidelines beside the chart. :)
Can you do me a favor - provide evidence that vodka has the 'highest' likelihood of fueling cyano?
I am almost positive I've seen a paper on that, but I can't seem to find it now. Nevertheless, an overwhelming number of people noticed an increase of cyano with vodka, so I'll leave that as a disclaimer. I appreciate the concern. It's good to challenge our beliefs to ensure we are always up to date with the evidence. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It happened in my tank, but that doesn’t mean it happens in any other tank.

The fact that so many organisms can use acetate is a plausible reason that cyano is less likely, but that is obviously only a rationale, not evidence that it is actually true..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It happened in my tank, but that doesn’t mean it happens in any other tank.

The fact that so many organisms can use acetate is a plausible reason that cyano is less likely, but that is obviously only a rationale, not evidence that it is actually true..
Of course - anecdotal evidence is also 'evidence'. Thanks:)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rates look reasonable and the comments in the margin super helpful. @taricha, does this add rate look like what you have done?
Yep. That rate seems appropriate to me. I've gone much faster and higher, and high enough to see bad results - but I'd be fine with that rate if it were my first time.

am I missing out on anything by not using vinegar? Is there anything to gain? Why do some people mix vodka/vinegar/sugar?
to give you an answer from another perspective on this question - (Almost) Nobody knows what aquarium bacteria grow when you dose vinegar, vs vodka, vs sugar, etc. So people make guesses about when communities might result from each, and further guess that blends of those communities might be more desirable.
It's complete blind guesses.
Watch your tank and make careful observations.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. That rate seems appropriate to me. I've gone much faster and higher, and high enough to see bad results - but I'd be fine with that rate if it were my first time.

to give you an answer from another perspective on this question - (Almost) Nobody knows what aquarium bacteria grow when you dose vinegar, vs vodka, vs sugar, etc. So people make guesses about when communities might result from each, and further guess that blends of those communities might be more desirable.
It's complete blind guesses.
Watch your tank and make careful observations.
Thank you, Taricha. That means a lot to me. :)

My favorite part of the dosing charts were the guidelines on the side. I am really proud of it because I feel like it gives people the best chance of success. :)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice but I don't find the "prepared" formulas to be that expensive and for me, I'll keep on w Fauna Marin Bacto Energy and TM Elimi NP.
I'm don't understand the point of your post.
How does it contribute to the work done by Miami Reef in any way?

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I don’t understand the point of your post either!
How about: thank you for the valuable update on vinegar dosing but as noted, there can be issues with vinegar or sugar dosing and I believe those negatives may be less so, using prepared formulas and as such, I use the prepared formulas, which I do not find to be overly expensive.
Is that comment more acceptable to you?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always used vodka and mb7 myself for many years! I have ran into cyano here and there but nothing bad.. Just a few months ago I switched to bacto balance on the recommendation of Sunny x… I’m not sure what’s all in it but I do use much less than I did with vodka.. currently I’m dosing 4ml a day, if I go any higher I get a bacteria bloom and cloudiness in my tank but that’s the worst I’ve experienced. It’s potent what ever it is lol… so far so good!

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think NP Bacto is some sort of liquid polymer per a video with the Fauna Marin guy. It's basically a liquid biopellet.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it contribute to the work done by Miami Reef inmore palatable to you:

You must not understand the next post, right below mine either as well:)

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef A lot of reefers including myself dose a DIY NoPox that is 375ml vodka, 500ml vinegar and 125ml RODI. Do you have a recommended chart for dosing or do you just recommend following the Red Sea dosing instructions for the mentioned DIY NoPox?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef A lot of reefers including myself dose a DIY NoPox that is 375ml vodka, 500ml vinegar and 125ml RODI. Do you have a recommended chart for dosing or do you just recommend following the Red Sea dosing instructions for the mentioned DIY NoPox?
I can easily make a chart with these specifications.

How many mL per day are you dosing of this solution? What size tank are you dosing this in? I’m interested to see how Red Sea’s dosage compares to my chart’s.

Freddie83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
The reason I'm updating the Vinegar and Vodka dosing charts is two-fold:

1. The ramp was unnecessarily slow. There was no perceived benefit to such a tedious ramp, and it led to reefers quitting because they thought carbon dosing didn't work.

2. The ramp did not scale up correctly at all. A 40x larger tank only received 2x the needed dose. (A 1,000-gallon tank only received twice the dose of a 25-gallon tank).

Why should I carbon dose?

We will refer to carbon dosing as adding any readily metabolized organic. Carbon dosing is NOT equal to dosing carbohydrates.

Reef tanks are notoriously carbon-limited. We have an excess of P and N, and the bacteria in our tank lack the carbon to continue consuming nitrogen and phosphorous.

Carbon dosing is a fantastic way to lower nutrients, more specifically nitrate. The reason is three-fold:

1. Organisms such as bacteria & plankton contain much more nitrogen than phosphorous. The red field ratio is 16:1, meaning there are 16 parts nitrogen to 1 part phosphorous.

2. Denitrification is a process that happens in anaerobic conditions (little to no oxygen). These bacteria require an organic to oxidize the nitrate molecule (NO3-) into Nitrogen (N2). They breathe the oxygen that is attached to the nitrate molecule. Thus, there will be NO phosphate consumed in this process.

Here is the equation by @Randy Holmes-Farley :

organic + 124 NO3– + 124 H+ → 122 CO2 + 70 N2 + 208 H2O

3.We have an immense reservoir of phosphate bound to calcium carbonate rocks and sand. To put to pespective, a 50% water change with nutrient-free water will successfully reduce your nutrient values by 1/2. More often than not, the phosphate value will climb right back up near the starting point after a day; PO4 tries to be in constant equilibrium with the bulk water column and calcium carbonate surfaces.

For these reasons, I do NOT recommend dosing carbon solely for controlling phosphates. It is likey to deplete nitrate before seeing phopshates significantly reduce.

What are the benefits of carbon dosing?

Besides reducing nitrate, spurring bacteria is the main benefit. This bacteria can feed many organisms and filter feeds (such as desirable sponges) in a tank. Coals and sponges can directly metabolize acetate. Acetate is one of the highest turnover organic in the ocean. Thus, opting for vinegar can be very natural.

What about other carbon sources such as NP Bacto Balance, NOPOX, or Sugar?

You can carbon dose with NP Bacto Balance or NOPOX, but dosing straight vinegar or vodka is cheaper and readily available in stores.

One caveat is dosing sugar. While it was popular to dose sugar to a tank several decades ago, it has largely fallen out of favor. It tends to "brown out" certain corals. I wouldn't consider dosing sugar.

Vodka is eight times more concentrated, so the vodka chart has the same ramp as the vinegar chart.

What kind of vinegar or vodka should I use?

Plain Distilled vinegar (5% acidity) from the grocery store is best. NOT filtered vinegar.

Unflavored 80 proof vodka (40% ethanol) is adequete.

Instructions and rules to follow when carbon dosing with my charts:

1. Only dose during daylight hours. Carbon dosing will reduce pH and oxygen, so it's wise to dose while those parameters are naturally at their highest.

2. Skimming and good surface agitation is encouraged. If you don't have a skimmer, stay on the lower end of the chart, and don't progress unless it's clear the tank is fine.

3. You can dose vodka in one shot (bolus dosing), but vinegar is best spread-out with a dosing pump throughout the daylight hours.

4. Vinegar and Vodka have the same pH-lowering effect, but vinegar is more upfront, while vodka is all later as it becomes consumed by bacteria. You cannot easily detect the pH drop from vodka, but they are equal when comparing the chart dosages for tank size.

5. You do not need to increase the dose after week 2 if nitrates are reducing earlier.

6. Watch your tank and make observations. Once your nutrients are in line, find a small maintenance dose for your tank. You choose the final dose based on your testing and tank inhabitants.

7. Keep track of nutrients and ensure they don't bottom out. Nitrates won't bottom overnight; you won't wake up on the second day and see 100 ppm turn to 0.00 ppm. It's much more gradual than that.

8. More people notice cyano issues with vodka than with vinegar. If that is the case, switching to vinegar is a wise choice.

Here are the charts. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Vinegar dosing fully revised.jpg
Vodka dosing fully revised.jpg
This ramp up schedule seems much more appropriate compared to the older version. Thank you for posting.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I don’t understand the point of your post either!
How about: thank you for the valuable update on vinegar dosing but as noted, there can be issues with vinegar or sugar dosing and I believe those negatives may be less so, using prepared formulas and as such, I use the prepared formulas, which I do not find to be overly expensive.
Is that comment more acceptable to you?

What differences do you perceive?

Do you know what is in the formulations you use?

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can easily make a chart with these specifications.

How many mL per day are you dosing of this solution? What size tank are you dosing this in? I’m interested to see how Red Sea’s dosage compares to my chart’s.
My total water volume is 285gal. I started slow by first dosing 12ml/day and have worked up to 20ml/day. My tank is strictly LPS and Softies. I have attached the NoPox instruction guide. They have different dosing amounts based on the NO3 levels and type of corals.

Attachments

• 24779-NEW-Manual-Algae-Supplements-_GB-DE-FR-NL-SP-_2018A-44p.pdf
    231.6 KB · Views: 81

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 140 gallon tank; 35 gallon sump (only 20 gallons of water. I started the AF probiotic method about a month ago using 1/2 of the GFO, Zeo and carbon. My NO3 and PO4 were around 65 and .35. Fear of overdosing carbon, I reduced dosing vinegar from 40ml to 20ml. My most recent NO3 and PO4 were 60 and .20. I changed my media and am now almost full strength on the GFO, Zeo and carbon "triple threat".

Part of the probiotic method is dosing the AF NitroPhos minus at 20ml per day. I also believe one of the other "bacteria dosing" bottles include a carbon source (pro bio S and NP pro). They don't say not to vinegar dose, but it also doesn't provide guidance if you are.

Considering I am struggling to keep NO3 down (PO4 is coming down), would you suggest moving back to the 40 ml to see if that helps reduce the NO3 or give the "triple threat" time to work them down? Part of my adjustments were also related to some growth on the underside of my rocks "fluffy brown stuff" you can see in my other posts thinking that was a bacteria build up.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back