New Waterbox 170.4/5 build

JayBABQ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife said "We are getting wood floors put in" I said "That's great! Since I have to move the tank anyway, I should get a new Waterbox!" - Baahaaa That's how it all started.

After weeks of looking at flooring options, a couple months of curing time (for the wood) and scheduling the actual install (OMG what an ordeal - contractors have no clue what it means to remove/install a tank so they feel it is ok to delay when needed, NOOOO). I digress - Anyway I finally have a new system up an running.

My old tank has been with me for many years (~18yrs?), been though so many modifications mostly DIY and has taught me a lot about the hobby. But I had out grown it and was tired of the few nuisance things that drove me to drink. It was a old 120g with corner overflows and the old style oak cabinet looking stand and canopy. Well gone are the 80's. Now on to the future.

I lucked out and saw a 170.4/5 in black on the BRS site and it said it was in stock ready to drop ship from the warehouse. So I quickly ordered it thinking that knowing my luck when I wanted it 2 months from now it would not be available. I had worked so hard to research what I wanted for a price I could afford and get the exact measurements I needed and wanted. I checked BRS and Waterbox after it came in and they truly were gone 4-6 week shipping time. It came in and to my dismay the pallet had been crushed and the shipping company put it on another makeshift pallet. :eek: Luckily it was ok but I made the guy stand there while I uncrated it in the garage. He was not happy. Now I had to make room in the garage to store it while we waited and waited.

The day finally came and the contractors were late so I postponed the tear down of the old one and then finally got confirmation that they would be here the following day so I began the arduous task of breaking down and re-homing everything to a stock tank I had setup and running in the office. Everything was going good until I got the call….. They will be late another day. Seriously guys these critters will not last if we delay their move in date. They said they really didn't think they needed the full 3 days and it would only take a couple days and they would work to get the aquarium area done first so everything could dry. In the end after stressing out for days about the reef family, it went off without many more issues and we were ready to move in on Saturday as planed.

The joy of it all: I spent the whole weekend setting up and relocating the reef in to their new home. Only one casualty too, a yellow belly hippo that had a swim bladder issue from early on. I was so worried but everyone else looks no worse for the ware a month later.

What a beautiful tank and sump. So clean and crisp. Simple setup and things just work. Thanks Waterbox

The build:
The new:
170.4/5 Waterbox with black stand
VORTECH MP40WQD

The old:
2 AI Hydra HD 26 lights and new rail (it needs more lighting now that the tank is wider and the lights are higher)
eFlux LOOP DC Flow Return Pump 1900 GPH
Eshoppes X-120 skimmer
BRS dual reactor running GFO and Carbon
BioPellet reactor
Reefkeeper Lite with NET, SLX and 2 PB4
2 BRS 1.1 dosers

My short team plans are to try removing the reactors and actually use the refugium in the sump to grow some chaetomorpha once I have things stable the "old way".

Out with the old: A really old shot of the tank just after moving it from Arizona to New Mexico. Nothing looks good and still had the old VHO lighting on it, ugh. But the fish all made it :)
upload_2018-11-15_10-34-50.png

In with the new:
upload_2018-11-15_10-35-50.png

upload_2018-11-15_10-35-25.png

upload_2018-11-15_10-36-23.png

upload_2018-11-15_10-36-44.png

upload_2018-11-15_10-37-13.png

upload_2018-11-15_10-37-48.png

upload_2018-11-15_10-47-9.png

upload_2018-11-15_10-47-36.png

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice and I’m very happy for you!

I’ve read many good things about waterbox, especially their customer service.

I’m not sure if you have been properly welcomed, so, #WelcometoR2R

Please start a build thread so we can follow along. And you get a spiffy “build thread “ banner!

Directions are in my signature below.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! it can be so stress full redoing the floors and moving a tank. I just went through the same and wanted the WB230.6 but they were still in china and take 4-8 weeks to get here so I went with a red sea 750XXL...but love the WB too.

your looks great!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back