New Waterbox AIO 50.3 has a chipped bottom right corner

techy_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I touched upon this in my build thread but just creating a more focused thread for specific feedback.

So my Waterbox AIO 50.3 shipment came in. It was the tank, stand, and lights combo. Going to quote what I posted in the build thread as to not repeat myself:

Tank has arrived. There was a little damage to the bottom (tank) package in one of the bottom corners, a little compression, but seemed not too bad from the outside. Fedex marked the bill "subject to inspection" as we were unsure if there was any impact to the inside.

Unboxed the cabinet and assembled, all was good. Unboxed the tank, could see all but the bottom of the tank (which would include that possibly impacted corner, just knew it was the rear right bottom corner at this point) but all seemed okay so far. Placed the tank on the stand. Then noticed that suspect corner, which was the bottom right rear of the tank, had a nick in it. Photos attached. Also noticed that the leveling mat glued to the underside of the tank is not so level. Looking at the tank from the side, I seems like the mat was compressed and you could see daylight under the mat. Not sure if this works itself out when you fill the tank.

Biggest concern is that nick in the back. There's black film over it so it's hard to tell to what extent the damage really is. Seems like a small nick/scratch from the outside.

I filled up that rear right chamber with water and no leaking for past 12hrs. Curious how the damage looks to you guys who might have experienced this before. Any concerns with the mat?

I've contacted Waterbox so waiting to hear from them. I did purchase the extra insurance from Mulberry during the tank purchase so curious if that helps out.

So right now it's Saturday morning. It's going to be a long weekend waiting for some kind of feedback from Waterbox. The more I think about it the more paranoid I feel I'm going to be about this corner's integrity and the mat. Not sure if filling up the tank with water will expose any weakness in that rear bottom corner or if the rear of the tank not making contact with the stand because of the compressed leveling mat is going to cause additional stresses on the glass of any kind.

I'll keep this thread updated with any responses from @Waterbox Aquariums good or bad. Hopefully it helps any other future customers.

IMG_1408.jpg IMG_1406.jpg IMG_1391.jpg IMG_1388.jpg IMG_1384.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming that's some sort of protective film on the glass, yes? I looked at another corner chip on a Waterbox tank last week and while it looked a little worse than this - Waterbox refused to replace his tank and offered him $150 (I believe). Waterbox told him the tank would be find (but that could also be SOP for Waterbox customer service).

Quality control over at Waterbox seems to be non-existent of late...

OP
OP
T

techy_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there is a black film over the back. Portion which is the sump chamber area. Don’t necessarily want to see what is in there from the sides.

Interesting to hear about that other tank. I wonder if having purchased insurance helps with getting a replacement. It’s a pain to have to wait longer but I don’t know if I can have piece of mind not knowing what caused this chip and if there larger damage under the film that I can’t see without taking the film off but then that ruins the film of course.

OP
OP
T

techy_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No update from Waterbox but it's the weekend so was not reasonably expecting it. I have had conversations with other reefers and aquarists and just about everyone has indicated 1) its a premium tank so should arrive prestine, 2) we just don't know what impact this tank and package could have been exposed to to have caused that chip, and 3) the uneven leveling mat in the back causing the rear of the tank to be off the stand and not making contact might cause stress when filling the tank with water and cause a failure. So with all of that combined I personally am not comfortable with this being a usable tank at this stage. Hoping Waterbox will offer a replacement tank. Just my thoughts right now before heading into the business week and hope to hear from Waterbox soon. Will keep everyone updated on the support experience.

OP
OP
T

techy_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Waterbox Aquariums reached out to me this morning and after a few emails discussing the damage and my concerns we determined the best course of action is to replace this tank. Very reasonable customer service experience and really appreciate them working with me to alleviate my concerns and make the situation right.

We've agreed on a solution. Next part is the execution (FedEx has to pick up the ball here) so to be continued but I think this story is headed in the right direction.

CanDo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good news. Do you think purchasing the additional insurance played a role in Waterbox's decision? I'm not familiar with the other chipped tank you mentioned. I'm curious as to why it wasn't replaced.

I'm looking forward to hearing the next chapter in the saga.

OP
OP
T

techy_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good news. Do you think purchasing the additional insurance played a role in Waterbox's decision? I'm not familiar with the other chipped tank you mentioned. I'm curious as to why it wasn't replaced.

I'm looking forward to hearing the next chapter in the saga.

I owe this post a proper update that is to come. But in short all is good now. I’ve received the replacement tank. The delivery by FedEx was great and package was in really good shape. Someone took care of this one!

tank is set up and looks pretty dang good with no visible damage this time around.

I have leak tested with tap water for almost 24hrs now and no leaks.

I don’t think insurance came into play here. It was never mentioned or brought up by Waterbox. I still like the idea of having it personally. You actually get an online account and dashboard so I should check that but I think with the claim, explanation, concerns, and photos given, Waterbox just did the right thing here and send a replacement and they have left a good opinion with this customer!

Back