New Year, New Tank? Reefing resolutions for the new year...

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Learn more about the microbiome of reef tanks. When I listened to Certain Doctors re digestion I lost 65 lbs by doing nothing. If I can apply similar principles to reefing how much better will my corals be. Learn a easier way to remove bubble tip anenomies
For the BTA's, look up the nem cannon.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on another successful orbit around the sun! The new year is fast upon us, and with it, the promise another year brings. As you sit and reflect on the last, and your hopes for the next (I cannot believe it is 2024. I mean, I swear that 1999 was just last week), I'd like to know if you have any reefing resolutions for 2024. Big or small, let's share them all!

I'll go first... This year, I resolve to stop chasing numbers.
Trying not to mess with things in the tank even though i am always buying new corals.
I also need to clean up the sump and get some of the wires organized.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmphh... I put little shelves up in the fish room today, mounted the various controllers that were dangling by their cords and put the covers back on all of the finger duct. That is it until Jan 1 2025. See ya then... Im out.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying not to mess with things in the tank even though i am always buying new corals.
I also need to clean up the sump and get some of the wires organized.
I've got a sump vacuuming in my near future, too. Nothing wrong with new coral, though. I wouldn't necessarily count that as messing with things.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hmmphh... I put little shelves up in the fish room today, mounted the various controllers that were dangling by their cords and put the covers back on all of the finger duct. That is it until Jan 1 2025. See ya then... Im out.
I thought that, after a bout with heartburn and indigestion courtesy of some hotter than expected hot wings, you'd get that pump hack working. That's the last item on the punch list before 2025.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that, after a bout with heartburn and indigestion courtesy of some hotter than expected hot wings, you'd get that pump hack working. That's the last item on the punch list before 2025.
Man was that chicken hot - I had the sandwich last evening - and the tenders for lunch today. I confirmed that last evening was not a bad dream and that those people were not joking with their rating system. Though, curious to see how hot "5 -RIP" is and if there is a flavor difference, or they just turn up the misery.

Debating a roller mat. Though, it won't fit in my sump configuration, so that means hacking or building a new sump or having somebody do it for me (I don't do those things anymore, or the warden gets very angry). So it may be easier to just skip the roller mat... and that fits, because I don't really do filtration.

I am also back and forth between buying a Bambu Lab X1C but the new model is coming out and the P1S is cheaper and I don't know if I need the better one, let alone any at all. That too will anger the warden, so best to just skip that rabbit hole too... I mean what do I need a 3D printer for and where will it and I sleep when were are told to leave the house.

So back to the shelves. Yep, that may be it for the year.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man was that chicken hot - I had the sandwich last evening - and the tenders for lunch today. I confirmed that last evening was not a bad dream and that those people were not joking with their rating system. Though, curious to see how hot "5 -RIP" is and if there is a flavor difference, or they just turn up the misery.

Debating a roller mat. Though, it won't fit in my sump configuration, so that means hacking or building a new sump or having somebody do it for me (I don't do those things anymore, or the warden gets very angry). So it may be easier to just skip the roller mat... and that fits, because I don't really do filtration.

I am also back and forth between buying a Bambu Lab X1C but the new model is coming out and the P1S is cheaper and I don't know if I need the better one, let alone any at all. That too will anger the warden, so best to just skip that rabbit hole too... I mean what do I need a 3D printer for and where will it and I sleep when were are told to leave the house.

So back to the shelves. Yep, that may be it for the year.
I added a Klir V2 DI 7" rollermat to my setup in the beginning of November after I got out of the hospital for the Vibrio infection. It was a bit quirky at first, but now it works like a charm, and no sump modification needed.

As for the 3D printer, that is a rabbit hole. Just ask @tbrown about his recent endeavors.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Klir V2 DI 7" rollermat to my setup in the beginning of November after I got out of the hospital for the Vibrio infection. It was a bit quirky at first, but now it works like a charm, and no sump modification needed.

As for the 3D printer, that is a rabbit hole. Just ask @tbrown about his recent endeavors.
You got vibrio from you tank? @tbrown hit me with it.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah. Fortunately, my background was emergency medicine and I recognized almost immediately what I was dealing with (Vibrio, aeromonas, group A strep, etc.) and went in immediately. I was in there for eight days on 3 IV antibiotics and one oral. I got to keep my hand and arm, but not without lasting nerve damage and bone marrow edema. Suckfest.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Fortunately, my background was emergency medicine and I recognized almost immediately what I was dealing with (Vibrio, aeromonas, group A strep, etc.) and went in immediately. I was in there for eight days on 3 IV antibiotics and one oral. I got to keep my hand and arm, but not without lasting nerve damage and bone marrow edema. Suckfest.
That is scary - did you have open wounds in the tank or something?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not going to hit you with Vibrio!

However, printers are cool but I'm pretty sure I got a warped glass print bed with mine which has caused headaches for weeks. Once a printer gets dialed in it's great! Getting it dialed in is either cake or chaos. Mine was chaos. I've printed stuff for my wife's craft tools and ornaments for Christmas and a few things for my tank. Bambu labs is good stuff but pricey. I use an Ender.

One thing to keep in mind is the print size. I have designed several things that were too large for the "standard" print beds so if you want to print more than a 6" project, get a 300mm or larger.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is scary - did you have open wounds in the tank or something?
A very small puncture wound on my left index finger from a drill bit that had almost completely healed. I almost always wear gloves when working in the tank, but this time, I reached into the sump to adjust my skimmer. Six hours later my whole hand had swelled, was extremely painful, and tracking up my arm. Crazy aggressive. We got Clindamycin on board In the cocktail of meds immediately (Cipro and Doxy being the other IVs) because it blocks the exotoxin release of "flesh eating" bacterias. Fortunately no necrotizing fasciitis. Lots of internal soft tissue damage, though.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to hit you with Vibrio!

However, printers are cool but I'm pretty sure I got a warped glass print bed with mine which has caused headaches for weeks. Once a printer gets dialed in it's great! Getting it dialed in is either cake or chaos. Mine was chaos. I've printed stuff for my wife's craft tools and ornaments for Christmas and a few things for my tank. Bambu labs is good stuff but pricey. I use an Ender.

One thing to keep in mind is the print size. I have designed several things that were too large for the "standard" print beds so if you want to print more than a 6" project, get a 300mm or larger.
Bambu is ~256 cubed. I don't know if I need the thing, but for sure can't go bigger or there will be bad times. I wanted to print some overflow guards so would have to do them in sections. Maybe some other stuff like probe holders. I dunno why I need the thing really.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be setting up a frag system. I came through a tank crash this year, but now my tank has never been better.
IMG_20240101_145145398.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Scary stuff - and it is everywhere. I wonder why more people don't get infections. I don't often wear gloves... but that makes me think.
Yeah, I keep meaning to write an article about it, but haven't found the time yet with the holidays. Maybe this week...

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to be setting up a frag system. I came through a tank crash this year, but now my tank has never been better.
Sorry to hear about the crash, but happy to hear that the ship is back on course. I look forward to seeing the system when it is up and running.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bambu is ~256 cubed. I don't know if I need the thing, but for sure can't go bigger or there will be bad times. I wanted to print some overflow guards so would have to do them in sections. Maybe some other stuff like probe holders. I dunno why I need the thing really.
So far for mine I've printed filter floss cups, a doser table, a feeding tube (need a second one), dosing tube holder, and a controller hanger. I've got 3D printed photo booth, sand frag holders, list ght shades, and RFGs. There might be more I just am forgetting about right now.

I've printed a few toys for my kids and some things to help my wife with her crafts, a Lithopane (3D picture that you shine light from behind to see - pretty cool), and a couple of urchin hats.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back