New Yorkers: What is the largest/best Home Depot (or equivalent) for supplies?

Matt Peacock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I'll be visiting New York again soon - utterly loved it the first time around. Strange as it sounds, I am very keen to drop into a large and well stocked hardware store. I read a lot of the DIY threads here and watch a lot of YouTube with interest and obviously most are US-focused. There are a few bits and bobs I'd like to see in person and probably more bits and bobs I don't even know exist, and it would be nice to have a look and see if anything could be useful for some of my DIY reefing projects. I've had a look on the Home Depot website but it lists only locations so it's hard to know if I have found massive stores or tiny ones.

OP
OP
M

Matt Peacock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's a fair point. Staying in Midtown Manhatten but not averse to travelling (in the UK at least, you won't find anything other than a very basic hardware store unless you goto the outskirts of a town or city).

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're all the same here in Manhattan when it comes to plumbing parts. Make sure to check out Manhattan Aquariums on 37th St bw 10th and 11th Ave

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Queens. I am a General Contractor. Home Depot is a terrible hardware store. I don’t know of any big box type stores in the US that are any good. I typically order from more specialized distributors. For nicer plumbing supplies I order almost everything online. There are plenty of Home Depot’s in Manhattan though, so it won’t be too big of a deal to stop by.

OP
OP
M

Matt Peacock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're all the same here in Manhattan when it comes to plumbing parts. Make sure to check out Manhattan Aquariums on 37th St bw 10th and 11th Ave

Thank you! Yes, will do. Actually managed to get in there last time - was pleased as they had Furan 2 on the shelves and that can be expensive to get here.

I live in Queens. I am a General Contractor. Home Depot is a terrible hardware store. I don’t know of any big box type stores in the US that are any good. I typically order from more specialized distributors. For nicer plumbing supplies I order almost everything online. There are plenty of Home Depot’s in Manhattan though, so it won’t be too big of a deal to stop by.

Exactly the same in the UK; if any of my tradesmen friends saw me asking where a B&Q store was (B&Q is our Home Depot) they wouldn't let me live it down. But I don't want to walk into a merchant and get eaten alive, would prefer to pick new things up and poke them in safety of a DIY store :). If you happen to have any recommendations for online ordering I'm all ears. We have friends in the US and I use them as my remote post box which they absolutely love.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Yes, will do. Actually managed to get in there last time - was pleased as they had Furan 2 on the shelves and that can be expensive to get here.

Exactly the same in the UK; if any of my tradesmen friends saw me asking where a B&Q store was (B&Q is our Home Depot) they wouldn't let me live it down. But I don't want to walk into a merchant and get eaten alive, would prefer to pick new things up and poke them in safety of a DIY store :). If you happen to have any recommendations for online ordering I'm all ears. We have friends in the US and I use them as my remote post box which they absolutely love.

I think most folks order from bulkreefsupply.com. You can have anything you order delivered to a FedEx pickup location by your hotel.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back