New YWG question

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just got another yellow watchman goby, hes smaller than the one i already had in the existing tank. i saw the goby already in the tank go into the gobies "house" that the new one was in, and i havent seen the new goby yet. Should I be worried that the old goby killed the other one? I wanted to get a mated pair but has anybody had problems with two YWG's not getting along with each other?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if there can be aggression but I am sure that a new ywg can be very skittish, some don't show their faces for months

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your initial YWG paired with a pistol? This happened to me when I added a second YWG, at the beginning the old YWG was showing off a lot, and I saw some jaw locking around and he did not allow her near his burrow and his pistol, for a week or two the new one was not allowed to hide anywhere, then one day they both disappeared for maybe a month or more, I thought they killed each other, and one day just like that they were together in the same burrow paired with the same pistol. Now they are happy and spawning every 2 months. She just laid eggs 2 days ago.

Pic:
20201114_171530.jpg
20201114_171805.jpg

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your initial YWG paired with a pistol? This happened to me when I added a second YWG, at the beginning the old YWG was showing off a lot, and I saw some jaw locking around and he did not allow her near his burrow and his pistol, for a week or two the new one was not allowed to hide anywhere, then one day they both disappeared for maybe a month or more, I thought they killed each other, and one day just like that they were together in the same burrow paired with the same pistol. Now they are happy and spawning every 2 months. She just laid eggs 2 days ago.

Pic:
20201114_171530.jpg
20201114_171805.jpg
I don’t have a pistol shrimp but I have seen the initial ywg out a lot and haven’t seen the small one

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pic:
20201114_171530.jpg
20201114_171805.jpg
I’ve seen the initial goby poking his head out of a burrow kinda looks like he’s protecting it and I haven’t seen the smaller one, could the smaller one be creating a burrow or something, I just hope he’s not dead

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a pistol shrimp but I have seen the initial ywg out a lot and haven’t seen the small one
I would recommend you to get a pistol if you have a sandbed, YWG don't need a pistol but they are way happier with one, mostly because they don't make burrows and rely on the pistol to make one for them, when they don't have pistols they need to find an already made one. A few years ago my pistol passed and the YWG was wondering around the tank with no sense, as soon as I got a new pistol everything when back to normal.
I’ve seen the initial goby poking his head out of a burrow kinda looks like he’s protecting it and I haven’t seen the smaller one, could the smaller one be creating a burrow or something, I just hope he’s not dead
Wait some time, as I told you I have been months without seeing my YWG, then he just to show up one day. Don't tear apart the tank to see if he died, I did once trying to look if he died I started removing the rocks until had removed them all just to find him alive under them the last one, of course I nuked all my corals in the process ;Facepalm

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back