New Zoa Polyp’s (what do they look like?

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious because I can’t for the life of me find anything in google, on reef2reef, or youtube about what a new polyp on a zoa looks like. wondering if anyone has any pictures of this?

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thumbnail.jpeg

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a super fast grower. The mat (skeleton) will stretch out and slowly a head and tentacles emerge
0ABB4725-D7A0-4A63-885B-AA24661516A8.jpeg
so the mat will be a lighter color than the other parts right? just curious, picked up a rasta frag and it has one big polyp then 3 other small ones that are new growth according to what i’ve seen here. but there’s a small portion of the mat that that’s like a bubble but much lighter than the rest. so I assume this is what you’re talking about

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the mat will be a lighter color than the other parts right? just curious, picked up a rasta frag and it has one big polyp then 3 other small ones that are new growth according to what i’ve seen here. but there’s a small portion of the mat that that’s like a bubble but much lighter than the rest. so I assume this is what you’re talking about
This is a great question. For my faster growing zoas, I can see the mat stretch out. It’s a light color. Maybe light gray? For my slower growing zoas like rastas and utter chaos, I will see tiny heads pop up but no visible mat. When they’re closed up, they look like a bunch of balls clumped together.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full grown, but closed, zoa head. With one just starting to open baby on the bottom right and starting to push out another bottom left.
424C56C8-E073-410C-B3EE-3DE3A7459889.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights just kicked on so things are just starting to open. You can see the mat on these rastas and how they’re connected. Again, I can see this better on faster growing types, where the mat stretches outward, a small slit forms and a polyp begins to emerge after a day or two as a tiny head.
BADE7581-C4D6-42FA-93CA-A6FACEFFC16A.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those rastas look freshly glued and from the pic I doubt it. Just give it time. A fellow reefer taught me a trick with zoas. If you place them at the base of a rock where the side of the Zoa can just barely touch the rock, the zoas will start to climb up the rock faster. Not sure if this is true but mine cling on to the side of rock and have attached already. This was a few months or so of waiting however.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those rastas look freshly glued and from the pic I doubt it. Just give it time. A fellow reefer taught me a trick with zoas. If you place them at the base of a rock where the side of the Zoa can just barely touch the rock, the zoas will start to climb up the rock faster. Not sure if this is true but mine cling on to the side of rock and have attached already. This was a few months or so of waiting however.
That is what I am toying with. I mounted the frag plugs to 1x6 tiles leaning on the back wall to see if I can get quicker growth in my frag tank.
Cheers! Mark
fullsizeoutput_f2.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I am toying with. I mounted the frag plugs to 1x6 tiles leaning on the back wall to see if I can get quicker growth in my frag tank.
Cheers! Mark
fullsizeoutput_f2.jpeg
Nice Mark! I saw this pic a few weeks ago or so and was trying to remember whose it was. If it works, share! Maybe you can get spot at MACNA.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Mark! I saw this pic a few weeks ago or so and was trying to remember whose it was. If it works, share! Maybe you can get spot at MACNA.
Like a lot of reefers, I have no clue as to how fast a coral can/will grow. I do know that for 2 years all of my zoas just disappeared. Wasnt until a couple months ago I realized that Asterina Starfish were the culprits. They would devour the polyps. Now they are all growing like weeds.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a lot of reefers, I have no clue as to how fast a coral can/will grow. I do know that for 2 years all of my zoas just disappeared. Wasnt until a couple months ago I realized that Asterina Starfish were the culprits. They would devour the polyps. Now they are all growing like weeds.
Oh wow. IME once a coral, especially zoas, start growing, the don’t stop. Zoas can become a pest after awhile. I have some that I wish I never put in. From 4 heads to 50.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers! Mark
fullsizeoutput_f2.jpeg
Thought I’d share this as it’s on topic:

December 31, 2019 I picked us these rastas.
2CF6B591-5343-44DC-ABE3-4BA7DBCF9C7E.jpeg

Taken today, February 18, 2020. The circled yellow part is where I tried to glue to the rock. A snail or flow pushed it off. Or bad glue job. Anyway the zoas started reaching for the rock and have continued to grow upwards.
D9834164-E572-4D16-A0D6-97BC9253BA3F.jpeg

I’ll just let them grow where they please.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back