Newb looking for advice, opinions or whatever you care to contribute :-)

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all welcome to the Reef2Reef community. As you can see we are all ready to help each other.

Best advice is to slow down, study the many thread topics, and plan your build. There are lots of guides here on R2R but would also recommend the many videos by Bulk Reef Supply and Tidal Gardens on YouTube especially the ones about Aquascaping, tank parameters, and corals. LiveAquaria will tell you about livestock compatibility.

Trust this advice former Fish Only about 30 years ago, so much has changed. Been here since August and am now first making my equipment list.

Good luck with your build.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, QuikCycl is ammonia. I'd suggest adding ammonia/QuikCycl when nitrite hits zero.

Others will say your tank is ready for fish, and it can be. But I just like to have nitrite be zero and can stay at zero. Personal preference.

Absolutely nothing wrong at all with waiting longer and taking it slow.

The worst thing to do is get in over your head and frustrated/upset and start not having fun with the hobby anymore.

Do it at a pace that feels good for you.

The second you start struggling I'd say take a couple steps back and slow down for sure.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1057.jpg

So todays test if I am reading correct is
PH= 8.4
Ammonia = .25
Nitrite = 5.0
Nitrate = 20

I also use the Hanna Nitrite colorimeter and interesting result. it showed 200 PPB, which is .2 PPM so doesn't make sense to me. so how long should the nitrite spike last?

Doesn't anyone make a more simple water test system, like just add water and tell me the results? I would pay good money for that..

unfortunately all of these test in the hobby take us back to high school chem.

If you want to spend $1,000+ per parameter/nutrient you may be able to find lab grade automated meters. But most of us don't have the money for that :).

Re: API I strongly recommend watch Youtube videos on how to properly test, from vendors like Marine Depot or others will walk you through step by step with all timings included.

The 30 Seconds of shaking and 1 Minute of mixing or whatever times they discuss are 100% Imperative to the integrity of the test. Don't do what "feels like" 30 seconds. Pull out your phone and start a stopwatch.

Another thing which can help improve accuracy and results is to double water volume and test chems.

I.e. get something that will hold 10ML of water instead of 5, and just double the amount of test chems you're using (If it says use 10 drops for 5ML use 20)

This helps dilute it further and give a more accurate reading.

OP
OP
Mile High Reefer

Mile High Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so 3 days of same ammonia and nitrite readings. .25 ammonia and 5.0 or more of nitrite. being very patient but want to make sure I shouldn't be doing anything. my dry rock is starting to get a nice pink color so that is new,,,

Should I continue to leave my carbon bags and filter socks out of sump?

thanks and have a great evening

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing which can help improve accuracy and results is to double water volume and test chems.

I.e. get something that will hold 10ML of water instead of 5, and just double the amount of test chems you're using (If it says use 10 drops for 5ML use 20)

This helps dilute it further and give a more accurate reading.
This is actually a great idea. Helps with getting the reading as precise as possible.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so 3 days of same ammonia and nitrite readings. .25 ammonia and 5.0 or more of nitrite. being very patient but want to make sure I shouldn't be doing anything. my dry rock is starting to get a nice pink color so that is new,,,

Should I continue to leave my carbon bags and filter socks out of sump?

thanks and have a great evening

Don't put in any filter media til you have livestock IMO.

just my opinion.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest piece of advice is not to impulse-buy

Every single purchase with fish, coral, equipment, everything....needs to be thoroughly researched.

You will save thousands of dollars in potential losses if you have excellent knowledge of what you are buying

Second off, know the timing of what you buy. Can your purchase be sustained given the current state of your tank? Is the timing right?

Knowledge and timing are big things ppl miss and they get too impatient... and then they screw everything up.
Amen

OP
OP
Mile High Reefer

Mile High Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! so 6 weeks after starting the cycle process and being very patient, my water is finally good i believe. PH = 8.4. Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 40. going to do my first water change today and watch what happens for another week.

New questions.. I have been reading a lot on the quarantine tank to utilize for all new livestock before putting them in display tank.
1. Does the water in QT have to be cycled prior to putting anything in it? I read one site state to just use fresh saltwater
2. I read to not put sand in tank? is this correct?
3. should i medicate the water? if so with what?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back