Day 5 of cycling question

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Five days ago I started my fishless cycle using Dr Tim's one and only, my water volume is 14.5 gallons and I dosed the whole 4oz bottle.

The reading for each day are the same each day Ph 8.0, Ammonia 1.0 and Nitrite 0. I tested my Nitrates today and it's at 5. Is my tank cycling? I'm new to this and very confused why I haven't seen my nitrites spike at all. To me it seems like the tank hasn't began to cycle, any knowledge would be great.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the easy thing to do would be to convert your setup into a testless cycle

where testing isn't what you track, that way testing can't mislead you

to make this a testless cycle simply add right now into the tank a pinch of fish food, any brand. let this all stew until 12/8/23 and then do a water change. your cycle will be done. if you change all the water then that's the cleanest start/least algae fuel for the new tank when you add life to it.

and if you only change a percent of the water, then more harmless algae fuel nitrogen will be left in the water for potentially slightly more algae growth when lighting + animals begin.

on day ten after adding feed and bottle bac = cycling done

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the easy thing to do would be to convert your setup into a testless cycle

where testing isn't what you track, that way testing can't mislead you

to make this a testless cycle simply add right now into the tank a pinch of fish food, any brand. let this all stew until 12/8/23 and then do a water change. your cycle will be done. if you change all the water then that's the cleanest start/least algae fuel for the new tank when you add life to it.

and if you only change a percent of the water, then more harmless algae fuel nitrogen will be left in the water for potentially slightly more algae growth when lighting + animals begin.

on day ten after adding feed and bottle bac = cycling done
Thanks for the quick response, so what your saying is after day 10 from adding fish food is do a full water change for the best results?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure and no testing is needed

that's long enough contact time for that bacteria to adhere to all surfaces, nutrients in the feed not supplied from the bacteria bottle (phosphate, carbon etc) boost up the bacteria populations that also handle ammonia conversion

it's the reason all cycling charts show a drop down to control levels right about day ten, any chart from any book on biology. its a very, very reliable calculated wait time for bottle bac cycles.

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure and no testing is needed

that's long enough contact time for that bacteria to adhere to all surfaces, nutrients in the feed not supplied from the bacteria bottle (phosphate, carbon etc) boost up the bacteria populations that also handle ammonia conversion

it's the reason all cycling charts show a drop down to control levels right about day ten, any chart from any book on biology. its a very, very reliable calculated wait time for bottle bac cycles.
Awesome, thank you so much, I appreciate it. So I could use freshwater fish food or saltwater to do this?

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231128_190805_Gallery.png
    Screenshot_20231128_190805_Gallery.png
    503.7 KB · Views: 55

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling some rocks in a trashcan, and basically following same advice Brandon gave. Filled it up, dropped some extra bacteria I had and a shrimp and letting it stew for a month. I am not in a mega rush to setup tank (a. Already have a smaller one I am taking care of.. and B, the new one hasn’t arrived).

I have no plans on testing ammonia/nitrate. I did that the first time on my other tank and a good waste of time and money.

I will do some smaller water changes this month and then essentially a 100% WC when I put the cycled rock into my new tank in a month or so.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have rock, sand, Dr.Tims bacteria and 5 days.
Ready for a fish or two. But go slow, let these two help build your populations.

Gone are the days of endless cycles.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note (you didn’t ask), but listen to what everyone tells you and don’t blast your light once it’s done cycling. Especially if your just doing fish only for the first 6 months or whatever.

You can keep it off or lower level. You will go through and ugly phase no matter what and it’s a lot easier to manage through it if your not feeding photosyntheic organizing, and letting them out compete the good stuff

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reading for each day are the same each day Ph 8.0, Ammonia 1.0 and Nitrite 0. I tested my Nitrates today and it's at 5. Is my tank cycling? I'm new to this and very confused why I haven't seen my nitrites spike at all. To me it seems like the tank hasn't began to cycle, any knowledge would be great.
Nitrifier bottles like one and only, biospira etc contain some nitrate in the bottle, likely as a leftover from the culturing process. This is where the nitrates are from. In my experience 5 days is probably too early to see ammonia being processed by One and Only, but when it does start to process the ammonia, nitrite does indeed show up.
You're on track, but nothing significant has happened yet. :)

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrifier bottles like one and only, biospira etc contain some nitrate in the bottle, likely as a leftover from the culturing process. This is where the nitrates are from. In my experience 5 days is probably too early to see ammonia being processed by One and Only, but when it does start to process the ammonia, nitrite does indeed show up.
You're on track, but nothing significant has happened yet. :)
So would you also recommend what Brandon has suggested by adding fish food then waiting 10 days, then do a water change? Just trying to figure out the best options for me.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you also recommend what Brandon has suggested by adding fish food then waiting 10 days, then do a water change? Just trying to figure out the best options for me.

I think the general consensus is you have a bit more time. End of the first week in December you’ll be g2g. If you want to test ammonia at that point go for it. Between now and then you can ghost feed it a little.

Don’t bother testing or pulling your hair out over nitrate. You probably will never detect it or when you do its not going to be helpful. BRS even says it’s a waste of money

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the general consensus is you have a bit more time. End of the first week in December you’ll be g2g. If you want to test ammonia at that point go for it. Between now and then you can ghost feed it a little.

Don’t bother testing or pulling your hair out over nitrate. You probably will never detect it
So without dosing fish food, I should be good to go regardless if I just let it sit?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. It'll work out great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back