Newbie — Help ID Please

  • Thread starter Thread starter mike550
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 13, 2019
Messages
2,269
Reaction score
2,328
Location
Chicago
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I received this coral a couple of months ago and it did great for a while. Now it doesn’t seem to get as “full” as it used to. Would really appreciate knowing what type of coral this is and any suggestions for care. Sorry that the pic is sideways.

Tank Params are: salinity 1.025, NO3 15-20, Phosphate 0.00 (trying to let raise), Alk 8.4, Ca 450, Mg 1350. Thanks in advance
DA5ED670-AFFF-47DA-9DAD-6DDD7D520BC3.jpeg
 
Looks like an Acan or Micromussa coral to me. This should help you out.





You can feed a little heavier and it should get your PO4 up some.
 
Agree on Acan. Nice colony too !!
Moderate light and water flow and feed 2-3X per week !
 
Agree on Acan. Nice colony too !!
Moderate light and water flow and feed 2-3X per week !
Thanks @vetteguy53081! I got this from a guy who services aquariums for people and it came out of a tank that was being taken down because the owner was moving. I try to do as much business with him as I can.

Now that I know it's an Acan I can focus on how to take care of it. Very much appreciated.
 
People still call them "Acans" as they used to be Acanthastrea lordhowensis, but it is now Micromussa lordhowensis. Just for accuracy as you're learning. It looks like a sweet colony (:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new