Newbie 5 weeks in with bully Damsel

tcunha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, I am a beginner starting with my first AIO 40gal by IM. Using an AI prime with about 3 pounds live 10 pound dry rock and 40 pounds live sand. Tank cycled at around 3 weeks. I also have 3 damsels (starter fish) in there.
Everything has been good. Had a diatom bloom around week 2 but it has mostly cleared up. I added 4 nassarius snails bout a week ago and today acclimated my first pair of clowns.

My problem is that I think my Yellow damsel (starter fish) is being a big time bully. Added the clowns yesterday and he has been nothing but coming out and Peking at them. I am so ready to get him out of here. HELP! is this normal? How long should I wait?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels can be pretty mean. Sometimes, I get lucky and get some rather passive ones, however, most of the time, they are pretty mean.

I would remove it and return it to the LFS if possible or give it to someone who runs a damsels tank.

I've had damsels kill an assortment of fish before. I just avoid damsels completely these days.

OP
OP
tcunha

tcunha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I was thinking. Besides he cost me about 4 dollars where the clowns were 40/piece haha. I am going to net him and return him to the store.

chrisl10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of things going on in a short amount of time. A large bio load on a relatively light amount of live rock / sand and biological filtration. I would get all those damsels out of that tank. The sooner the better. Many people are against the whole starter fish thing for cycling but in my experience that works the best. That's just my opinion. Good luck getting those damsels out. And yes the are aggressive You may also want to add some of that liquid biological filter additive. That will help add beneficial bacteria to your tank. Good luck with the tank!

OP
OP
tcunha

tcunha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man I had a typo. I meant 30 pounds of live rock not 3 and 10 dry rock. I have a total of 40lbs. haha oops. Still sleeping.

Thank you for the input though. I'll post some pics of my aquascape in a bit

chrisl10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah glad to hear the typo I was thinking you had a bio crash in the making . Can't say I haven't had that happen.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Get the damsel OUT! They get more aggressive as they get bigger!

welcom.jpg

OP
OP
tcunha

tcunha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Damsels are out and what a frickin nightmare! Had to remove almost all my rock to get them in the net. I still cant find the smallest one but the two aggressive ones are gone and returned to the store. I wonder if the third one is stuck inside a rock..

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R

OP
OP
tcunha

tcunha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
third damsel still missing. I had to remove all my rock to get them out the other day but could only fetch 2 of them. The third must be crushed or stuck inside a rock?? What if he dies in the tank and I cant find him?

chrisl10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have crabs or any type of cleanup crew? They can clean up the mess or monitor your ammonia level. See if the dead fish raises the level

OP
OP
tcunha

tcunha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have crabs or any type of cleanup crew? They can clean up the mess or monitor your ammonia level. See if the dead fish raises the level

No I don't at this time but will keep an eye on the ammonia. I might have to get a couple small crabs

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back