Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75gallon tank
Return pump- Jebao DCP Sine Wave DCP-5000
Sump- eshopps RS-100
BM- Curve 5 Protein Skimmer
Wavemaker

Hi All- I recently picked up a used setup. Need help trying to find the right balance to get the water flowing properly. Maybe it is proper, not sure...

My two issues:
There is an air bubble in the syphon tube feeding down to sump, single drain.
There is a gurgle noise in the drain from the HOB box.

The return pump is currently set to F036/ 10 watts... The drain in HOB box is too loud when set to F050-F060 and there is an air bubble trapped in the U-Tube... When I change the return pump to F040-F050, the gurgle is not as loud but the bubble in the U- tube is slightly bigger... as I decrease the flow rate of return pump, the bubble gets bigger in the U-Tube and the syphon sound is less noise. If I start from scratch, am I suppose to fill first to set the water level right in the tank, sump and HOB box? Then turn on the pumps and get the syphon going? This is my first time using a sump. I've been changing the flow rate, used a python hose to try and suck the air out the u-tube, raised the HOB box.. then raised the U-tube to get the air out... then used a small box to put between the tank and HOB box.. none working, please help!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75gallon tank
Return pump- Jebao DCP Sine Wave DCP-5000
Sump- eshopps RS-100
BM- Curve 5 Protein Skimmer
Wavemaker

Hi All- I recently picked up a used setup. Need help trying to find the right balance to get the water flowing properly. Maybe it is proper, not sure...

My two issues:
There is an air bubble in the syphon tube feeding down to sump, single drain.
There is a gurgle noise in the drain from the HOB box.

The return pump is currently set to F036/ 10 watts... The drain in HOB box is too loud when set to F050-F060 and there is an air bubble trapped in the U-Tube... When I change the return pump to F040-F050, the gurgle is not as loud but the bubble in the U- tube is slightly bigger... as I decrease the flow rate of return pump, the bubble gets bigger in the U-Tube and the syphon sound is less noise. If I start from scratch, am I suppose to fill first to set the water level right in the tank, sump and HOB box? Then turn on the pumps and get the syphon going? This is my first time using a sump. I've been changing the flow rate, used a python hose to try and suck the air out the u-tube, raised the HOB box.. then raised the U-tube to get the air out... then used a small box to put between the tank and HOB box.. none working, please help!
So air mixed with water isn’t bad in your return hose. I have 2 returns and both have air and a little gurgling. If your hob box is still too noisy could you put a square block of filter sponge? It looks like you have it set to where you can tolerate the noise. Good solution.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back