Newbie DIY Sump

sunnisusie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am planning out my DIY sump, a 40gal breeder plumbed in the basement. The first question is Skimmer before fuge or skimmer after. Then I need to know what else I will probably plumb into the sump in the future. And lastly is the hotly debated question of what return pump to use, I like the adjustability and ease of the dc pumps. I have figured out approx 13 ft head pressure. Any advice is welcome!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the skimmer before the fuge just because I think fewer pods will end up in my cup that way.

There are SO many nifty gadgets to add to the sump that it's impossible to predict what you'll likely want to add as your experience develops. I have my dosing pumps plumbed to the baffle between the fuge and return section, and the carbon reactor pump in the return section. Heaters are also in the return section.

I also like the versatility of the DC pumps, but don't have any experience with that kind of head pressure. Sorry,can't help you there.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For pump selection, what is your target flow rate?

OP
OP
sunnisusie

sunnisusie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the return pump, around 650 gph, I could even go a bit lower. I will be using pumps in tank to add lots of flow.

Sorry if I worded everything the wrong way. I have been looking at the Triton method and noticed the sumps are plumbed with the skimmer in the last chamber, what is the reason for the alge scrubber/fuge being before the skimmer?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back