OP
James McBryde

James McBryde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Everyone,

The Max S-650 arrived a couple weeks ago from Red Sea and I’ve got it up and running. There were a couple of minor issues (one circulation pump wasn’t working and one of the door panels was scuffed) and Red Sea quickly let me know that they would replace these items.

I used dry rock from BRS and Caribsea live sand. As a concession to my wife who helped this purchase possible, I put in three aquarium decorations: the Sponge Bob house, the Mount Wannahockaloogie tikis and the Little Mermaid. I know this is not purist for a reef tank but she thinks they’re fun additions so they are in there.

I have cycled the tank with Fritz Turbo 900 and added a Marine Pure 4x4x8 block to the sump to give the bacteria extra living space. The Fritz system requires that livestock be added during the cycling period so I purchased the following from Preuss Pets in Lansing:

2 Ocellaris Clownfish
2 Blue Reef Chromis
2 Banggai Cardinals
3 Pajama Cardinals
1 Orchid Dottyback
1 Yellow Tang
1 Kole Tang
3 Fire Red Shrimp
2 Dozen Snails

All of the fish are juveniles except for the two clownfish which are nearly full grown. They also are mostly captive bred and/or tank raised. The only impulse buy was the Kole Tang who was in the same tank at the store as the Yellow Tang and they seemed to be getting along well. They are best buddies in my tank and the Kole Tang has lots of personality so I’m glad we got him.

Yesterday, I drove all the way from Michigan to New York to go to Reef-A-Palooza this weekend. I am hoping to learn as much as I can about corals and any other equipment I might want to add. BTW, I do have a Pentair UV at home that I haven’t hooked up yet because the Fritz directions said to leave UV and the protein skimmer off while cycling the tank.

Maybe I will see some of you at Reef-A- Palooza!

OP
OP
James McBryde

James McBryde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a photo of the tank.

F32FC2ED-4313-4669-AB6F-A27A90826029.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 86 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back