Newbie from Michigan

James McBryde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this site and absolutely new to reefing, although I've wanted to try setting up a reef aquarium for many years. My wife and I recently became "empty-nesters" and she has agreed to let me get my first reef system. I'm currently in the research phase and planning to put up the system this summer. I'm currently watching lots of YouTube videos to become better informed and get ideas about how to set up the system. The BRS 52 weeks series and ULM series have been especially helpful.

We are currently looking at the Red Sea Max S-650 since we both like the look and convenience of that system. We are planning to put it in our great room which is a high traffic area of the house (although away from direct sunlight), so we want it to look great and be a real focal point. I am planning to use the first compartment of the sump for a refugium since the protein skimmer is in the middle compartment.

I would welcome any and all advice about setting up this system. Thanks in advance!

Jim

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tumblr_o3y4pherIa1s3h43ko1_500.gif
#Welcometor2r

OP
OP
James McBryde

James McBryde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Fellow Michigander here. If you can make it out to Preuss' Pets in Lansing, they're a great group with a great selection.

Cheers!

I have been there quite a bit lately and plan on buying all my livestock and some of my supplies there. Great store!

OP
OP
James McBryde

James McBryde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ! ! !

And just to confuse you even more, take a look at the Waterbox tanks too :)
I have looked at them and did go back and forth for a while. My wife does like the overall look of the Red Sea systems better so that's what we are planning to go with.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back