Newbie here but keeping Aquariums since 1984

Ironfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I've never been very active in forums or other apps but after reading and posting a couple times here I decided to get more involved and post a thread about my new build to get some ideas/feedback on a space-limited 265gal (1000lts) Reef Tank and hopefully be able to also help others with the knowledge I've been accumulating for many years.

My life has been aquarium filled since 1984. I had several tanks of all sizes, fish rooms, breeding rooms, worked doing aquarium service and started in the saltwater world around 1996.
I probably read every single book available at the time (I'm very proud of my library with books from the 50s to the early 2000s) and kept fish-only, planted, reefs, ponds, bred all kinds of fish, set up tanks for hotels, restaurants, shopping malls, founded an Aquarium Association and even wrote articles for a couple magazines and newsletters. Icontinued with several tanks at home until 2009 when I took a long break because I moved overseas and I just didn't have the space or time for it.
I just kept on visiting Aquarium Shops and Public Aquariums at least once a month. (I was a member of the Academy of Science -Steinhart Aquarium- in San Francisco)

I re-started in 2017 with a 40gal reef and soon after moved to a 150gal system. Over this last few years I've been re-learning reef keeping. There are so much new knowledge, many new methods and so much new equipment and on top of that there's this. The place for hobbyist to meet and share experience and knowledge from anywhere in the world.

When I restarted in 2017 I thought I knew everything reefing but very soon I realized how much the hobby evolved in 10 years so I decided to kept it humble and learn and experience all the new things.

So far it has been a great experience and I finally decided to build a more Dreamy Tank with the space limitations I have now so I'll start a Build Thread to get the ball rolling.

Lets just enjoy our Hobby ;)

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Lets enjoy indeed! Great to have a seasoned aquarium keeper like you around! and its crazy how much there is to learn! Happy reefing

1687376326349.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back