Newbie here!( just like the others lol)

Which ATO kit would be best safety wise and reliability?

• Total voters

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! BRS channel got me linked here and I had to join! I'm currently preparing to setup a 40g Breeder as a FOWLR setup for now and add some basic corals down the road as I become more comfortable with the hobby. Currently have two Darwin clowns in quarantine and being treated for brooklynella on the male. Female shows no signs thankfully, but they're together in it all! Check out my question below and help me decide on an ATO for the tank, thanks all in advance and happy reefing!

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Best of luck with treating your clowns. I voted on the Tunze, In my opinion it's fully worth its price tag. I have one on my big flat and it stays rock solid, it evaporates about 6 gallons per day but it tops off in small (for its size) but more often amounts due to the sensor being pretty sensitive. Also having the back up float valve is reassuring. That's my vote, we'll see what others have to say.

OP
OP
ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Best of luck with treating your clowns. I voted on the Tunze, In my opinion it's fully worth its price tag. I have one on my big flat and it stays rock solid, it evaporates about 6 gallons per day but it tops off in small (for its size) but more often amounts due to the sensor being pretty sensitive. Also having the back up float valve is reassuring. That's my vote, we'll see what others have to say.
Thanks! I'm using formalin, 4 days in and it's already showing huge signs of improvement. I was leaning toward the tunze but want more feedback, knowing your evap level and that it's solid I'm happy with that. I will wait to see what others say though, just as a majority thing. How long have you had the tunze for?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's been 2 years now. Yeah I read good things before buying one myself, seems like it works with just about any system size. If algae grows over the sensor you'd potentially have an issue, but I've never had it fall behind or overfill, aside from that it's a fairly redundant ATO. I have a fri3nd that has the Tunze nano ATO, it still works fine but isn't as accurate with filling smaller amounts at a time due to it only having the float valve.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I use the auto aqua smart ATO micro for my 70 gal tank. It works great. Has an alarm and is very accurate.
I do have the IM hydrofill and I love it. Fills up easy and small footprint. I've had it since the beginning and it works great and is easy to clean and maintain.

OP
OP
ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I use the auto aqua smart ATO micro for my 70 gal tank. It works great. Has an alarm and is very accurate.
I do have the IM hydrofill and I love it. Fills up easy and small footprint. I've had it since the beginning and it works great and is easy to clean and maintain.
Any issues with either one?

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues at all. The optical sensor on the smart ato to me is better than the float switch. The innovative marine hydroFill that I have is actually the reservoir that holds the rodi water. Both have worked great.

OP
OP
ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues at all. The optical sensor on the smart ato to me is better than the float switch. The innovative marine hydroFill that I have is actually the reservoir that holds the rodi water. Both have worked great.
I will keep an eye on them and see where the poll takes me. Then probably do another month of research before I buy one lol.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

OP
OP
ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far! I appreciate the great feedback and it seems to be heading towards the tunze currently.

OP
OP
ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!! And thanks @kireek, it's for all LEO's out there, past and present. I ordered the Tunze!!! Stoked and it'll be here tomorrow(Saturday)

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I have a Tunze nano ATO and it's great. Small top offs during the day that keep things stable. I had to replace the pump after 2 years of use, but it was inexpensive. Great product!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back