Newbie here, looking to slowly get serious.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome46.gif

OP
OP
raketemensch

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A welcome thread hitting 2 pages? Is this the same interweb I usually use?

I’m doing my research, filling Evernote with links and categories and figuring out which species of coral will get along and be fairly easy to start, figuring out what my CUC will be, and, of course. What equipment I’ll need.

i was planning on running a sump with a sock, but then I stumbled onto a sumpless ATO from XP Aqua, which seems like it might kill a couple of birds with a cheaper stone. I can’t seem to find info on its limits, though, and I’m hoping to run 55g, which might be too much for it.

As you all already know there’s a heck of a learning curve to this, so I’m hoping to get the tank and plumbing set up in a couple of weeks and spend a month or so just working on water chemistry. I’m also trying to sort out a fairly cheap RO unit without hamstringing myself, as they seem to average about 30 gallons/day, which would be pretty slow to fill 55 gallons...

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing I'm wondering right now -- do people with 40+ gallon tanks generally set up their own RO filters at home?
I had a small one that I picked up from Amazon when I had my 60. It worked great. I still have it in case of emergencies. I believe it is called an RO Buddie. And welcome!
Clownfish.gif

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! You’ve definitely come to the right place for starting your new endeavor! Everybody here is extremely helpful & knowledgeable. Definitely get a RO/DI unit, you’ll be glad you did.Remember, research everything & slow and steady wins the race

OP
OP
raketemensch

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to PM me with any questions. I am more then willing to help you along your journey. I truly believe that coral farming is the future of this hobby.

Thanks! It's a weird approach for sure. There's a common thread of "don't go into it as a business because it will ruin your hobby," but it's never actually *been* a hobby, so I'm approaching it from a different angle.

With that said, I want to do it as safely and healthily as possible. It seems like there could be "coral mills" just like there are "puppy mills," but I want to make sure I take great care of anything I grow.

I grew up farming, over the years we had cows, pigs, geese, goats, cows, horses... So I've always wanted to farm something, but I'm more of a computer geek than the tractor geek that my dad was, and so the idea of being able to build a farm AND build a business AND be part of what is basically a global crowd-sourced science project to figure out how to grow and heal coral reefs?

Who could say no to that?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back