Newbie LTA questions

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all...

I just got a purple LTA from LiveAquaria.
The shipment arrived today. The LTA was not attached to anything, just in the bag.
I cleared an area of sand in the corner, and placed it there... it didn't immediately attach (maybe I was impatient, this is my first nem), so I ended up moving some sand back in, made a bit of a hole in the sand, and placed the LTA in the whole, then kinda pushed some sand around it, and put a flat rock just barely touching it.

How long does it usually take for them to attach?
Should I be seeing any movement? The tentacles *seem* to be moving, but it could just be current.
Does it look healthy?

first-pics-LTA_01 2020-12-01.jpg
first-pics-LTA_03 2020-12-01.jpg

first-pics-LTA_04 2020-12-01.jpg

first-pics-LTA_02 2020-12-01.jpg

Anything I should do, or just watch and wait?

Thanks!

(I feel like a new father, all nervous and anxious)

--Gray

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preferred method is an open ended PVC segment pushed all the way down against the glass, sand cleared from middle leaving bare glass, LTA goes inside until attached, PVC is then gently lifted surrounding the foot with substrate.

Was the nem's foot damaged? I see some white stuff at the bottom of the foot that might be snail eggs or a tear in the foot.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foot needs to touch the glass it won’t attach directly to the sand. The hole in the picture needs to be deeper

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the foot needs to touch bare glass as the Nem won't attempt to attach to substrate. You could also place it on a rock that has a hole or a crevasse that it can wedge it's foot into. I would pull it out and check it's foot to see if there is any damage. If the foot is damaged, that's not a good thing unfortunately.

OP
OP
gray808

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

I cleared it as well as I could and put the rock nearby like this:
first-pics-LTA_05 2020-12-01.jpg

Hopefully, it's not too stressed out and will attach.

Assuming it does attach, should I ease in some sand around it once it's stuck?

--Gray

OP
OP
gray808

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also place it on a rock that has a hole or a crevasse that it can wedge it's foot into. I would pull it out and check it's foot to see if there is any damage. If the foot is damaged, that's not a good thing unfortunately.

The flat rock will be the next thing I try, if needed.

I didn't notice any damage to the foot, trying to keep my handling at a minimum. For sure, there were no obvious rips, tears, holes, etc.

--Gray

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

I cleared it as well as I could and put the rock nearby like this:
first-pics-LTA_05 2020-12-01.jpg

Hopefully, it's not too stressed out and will attach.

Assuming it does attach, should I ease in some sand around it once it's stuck?

--Gray
That’s better ! Once it’s attached you can move some sand around it

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make a indentation in the sand, put him in it and put the rock on top of his column. He should attach in 15-30 mins and will dig down the sand. LTA need deeper sand bed that what you have, 3 inches at least.

OP
OP
gray808

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make a indentation in the sand, put him in it and put the rock on top of his column. He should attach in 15-30 mins and will dig down the sand. LTA need deeper sand bed that what you have, 3 inches at least.

Yeah, the sand is usually deeper there, I pulled it aside to get to the bottom glass.

It laid there on the glass for an hour, no attachment. I've now rigged something like the PCV pipe segment, and am trying that. I'm just going to let it sit, and hope for the best at this point.

If I ever get another, I will get it in person, even though it's 8 hour round trip, and make sure it's attached to a rock or similar.

--Gray

ETA: When you say put the rock on him.. do you mean just literally put it right on top? it's a fairly small rock, but I'd fear it would squish him.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why you dig an indentation in the sand. The rock rest on the sand but does block the anemone in that crevice. That is how he will attach. All soft tissue you are not going to break anything. Just worry if the rock have sharp projection that can puncture him.

OP
OP
gray808

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it never attached overnight.

Learned my lesson, next time I get it in person (man, living in the sticks sucks), and/or make sure it is attached to something before purchase.

--Gray

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it looking besides not attaching? Seems like a very clean tank, how long has it been running?

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it has been that long I suggest getting a pot/container and having it in there. Then target feed it regularly until it becomes healthy again. You will know when it’s healthy when the tentacles are nice and long again.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back