Newbie needs help

robert.smith2888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and girl I’m after some advice.
Many many moons ago I attempted a nano marine tank but unfortunately did not end to well.
Iv now got a lot more time on my hands and I’m looking to start again.
I have a few questions.

Would I be better getting a all in one tank?
Or
build one with an external sump

I’ll be looking for something around 190/200l tank. With out sump Is that big enough? Or shall I look for something along the lines of a 300l if not doing external sump.
Or shall I go 200l and then an external sump
Under the tank.
Ideally I’m looking at 3/3.5f rectangle tank or
A corner tank.

Could some one please do me a check list of what I would need as Iv been trying to learn on the web but so many sites say different things. Ie some say you don’t need a protein skimmer but some do ‍♂️

ImTrying to do my research first before jumping in and buying stuff I don’t need
( kinda a big habit I have lol )

Iv not got the money to go all out on it and I don’t mind getting bits slowly as that would give me more time to prepare and learn.
I also don’t mind used bits.
If there is any good sites the people in the uk use please could you also list them.

Thanks in advance
Smithy

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and girl I’m after some advice.
Many many moons ago I attempted a nano marine tank but unfortunately did not end to well.
Iv now got a lot more time on my hands and I’m looking to start again.
I have a few questions.

Would I be better getting a all in one tank?
Or
build one with an external sump

I’ll be looking for something around 190/200l tank. With out sump Is that big enough? Or shall I look for something along the lines of a 300l if not doing external sump.
Or shall I go 200l and then an external sump
Under the tank.
Ideally I’m looking at 3/3.5f rectangle tank or
A corner tank.

Could some one please do me a check list of what I would need as Iv been trying to learn on the web but so many sites say different things. Ie some say you don’t need a protein skimmer but some do ‍♂️

ImTrying to do my research first before jumping in and buying stuff I don’t need
( kinda a big habit I have lol )

Iv not got the money to go all out on it and I don’t mind getting bits slowly as that would give me more time to prepare and learn.
I also don’t mind used bits.
If there is any good sites the people in the uk use please could you also list them.

Thanks in advance
Smithy
I’d recommend a 200l external skimmer - Unless you’re doing a sump with the 300l - It also depends on if you’d want things like flasher wrasse that swim fast and far really

OP
OP
R

robert.smith2888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend a 200l external skimmer - Unless you’re doing a sump with the 300l - It also depends on if you’d want things like flasher wrasse that swim fast and far really
Iv not rly had a thought of what specific fish I would like ( plus I don’t know the names of them lol )
I would like in my set up
Some easy corals some of the bits that glow under uv ( so sorry have no idea what you call them)
Clean up crew as in crabs and shrimp
And some fish that will be ok with each other ie Community tank any suggestions would highly help me out.
once again so sorry about my lack of knowledge.
but thank you for a speedy reply

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv not rly had a thought of what specific fish I would like ( plus I don’t know the names of them lol )
I would like in my set up
Some easy corals some of the bits that glow under uv ( so sorry have no idea what you call them)
Clean up crew as in crabs and shrimp
And some fish that will be ok with each other ie Community tank any suggestions would highly help me out.
once again so sorry about my lack of knowledge.
but thank you for a speedy reply
Are dimensions around 3 foot long by 2 foot wide and 2+ foot deep? If so then:
- Most fairy wrasse that remain ~4” will be okay
- The smaller Halichoeres wrasse such as Pudding wife wrasse (that get 4” or less)
- Clownfish (Duh, people have them in like 18” cubes)
- Blennies,
- Leopard wrasse (These are difficult fish to own and must be added after a minimum of 20 months has passed),
- Almost any fish that go into 18 inch cubes are alright.

OP
OP
R

robert.smith2888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are dimensions around 3 foot long by 2 foot wide and 2+ foot deep? If so then:
- Most fairy wrasse that remain ~4” will be okay
- The smaller Halichoeres wrasse such as Pudding wife wrasse (that get 4” or less)
- Clownfish (Duh, people have them in like 18” cubes)
- Blennies,
- Leopard wrasse (These are difficult fish to own and must be added after a minimum of 20 months has passed),
- Almost any fish that go into 18 inch cubes are alright.
Yer I would say that’s about the right for the dimensions. And then have a sump.

Iv also looked at a juwel trigon 350L corner tank but I’m unsure as I’ll have to have some sort of external overflow and as it’s a corner tank it will be at the front unless I move it away from the wall.
and I don’t fell confident to drill it ‍♂️

Back