Newbie Post!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Brand new to the hobby! I work at Petco and have fallen in love with the marine critters, so decided to start up myself. First tank is a JBJ 65 AIO with all stock equipment. I’ll upgrade as a I learn and start finessing the finer details. Right now the equipment is so incredibly overwhelming, so I’ll have lots of dumb questions when it comes to compatibility, do’s and don’t etc.
Only stock right now are 3 blue leg hermits and 2 damsels. My original plans were FOWLR, but I’m leaning more and more towards corals in the future. I LOVE the look of zoa gardens!
Pic of the project so far. No lights yet as I’m horribly indecisive, definitely open to suggestions!
Welcome!

Glad you joined! There's little that's wrong, but there is lots that can make things cheaper and/or easier when you piggyback other's knowledge in your early weeks. This is a great website with lots of helpful people, so glad you found us and know you'll be sharing more of your successes soon!

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Brand new to the hobby! I work at Petco and have fallen in love with the marine critters, so decided to start up myself. First tank is a JBJ 65 AIO with all stock equipment. I’ll upgrade as a I learn and start finessing the finer details. Right now the equipment is so incredibly overwhelming, so I’ll have lots of dumb questions when it comes to compatibility, do’s and don’t etc.
Only stock right now are 3 blue leg hermits and 2 damsels. My original plans were FOWLR, but I’m leaning more and more towards corals in the future. I LOVE the look of zoa gardens!
Pic of the project so far. No lights yet as I’m horribly indecisive, definitely open to suggestions!
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
CarleyFreeman

CarleyFreeman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a lot. And Petco’s policies do not exactly set the aquatics department up for success all the time. One of the first things I learned in retail was to admit that I don’t know. And I always follow up with but I will find out. I love coming home and researching, which is how I ended up here.
There’s three of us at my store that pretty much run the entire animal department, we are not a high-volume store but we do OK. Lucky me got to take over the animal and fish ordering, so that’s been a lot of trial and error, as well as some fun fish. If anything I have learned what not to do with a saltwater setup but I’m always game to learn more and help out my growing group of regulars.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome16.gif

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back