Newbie Q: How to use CA glue and Marco Cement

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m planning to change my rockscape and will be using a combo of MarcoRock and Caribsea. I’ve been experimenting with CA gel and it seems to hold really well. I’m spraying the joint with a bit of baking soda water (thanks @Variant ) as an accelerator (works great) to set it quickly. And after 24 hours the joint is really strong.

My question is when and how to use Marco cement? I’ve watched the videos and understand how to mix and stuff. But am I better off trying to make a complete bond between rock pieces with just the Marco cement or should I bond the pieces first with CA glue and then “fill / cover up” the joint with the mortar?

Thanks I’m advance!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m planning to change my rockscape and will be using a combo of MarcoRock and Caribsea. I’ve been experimenting with CA gel and it seems to hold really well. I’m spraying the joint with a bit of baking soda water (thanks @Variant ) as an accelerator (works great) to set it quickly. And after 24 hours the joint is really strong.

My question is when and how to use Marco cement? I’ve watched the videos and understand how to mix and stuff. But am I better off trying to make a complete bond between rock pieces with just the Marco cement or should I bond the pieces first with CA glue and then “fill / cover up” the joint with the mortar?

Thanks I’m advance!

For myself, I'd consider those an either/or for your application. Use one or use the other.

Joints will cover themselves over time.

Personally, I prefer drilling rock and using marco cement to stabilize acrylic posts used to make my seeming large aquascape modular. However, given the size of my base rocks, weight, depth of tank, personal strength and canopy over tank (opening vs removal), it is rare that rocks are removed... though I've gone down two levels on rare occasions for treatment. Would I build this way again, ABSOLUTELY! Also use that marco cement (with plastic wrap) to build flat bottoms on round rocks for support, to ensure snug fit in pieces joining on top of post, and more. Great stuff. Also comes in purple.

Because of how I join structural rocks, I wouldn't cover joints (but corals and mushrooms have lol)

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For myself, I'd consider those an either/or for your application. Use one or use the other.

Joints will cover themselves over time.

Personally, I prefer drilling rock and using marco cement to stabilize acrylic posts used to make my seeming large aquascape modular. However, given the size of my base rocks, weight, depth of tank, personal strength and canopy over tank (opening vs removal), it is rare that rocks are removed... though I've gone down two levels on rare occasions for treatment. Would I build this way again, ABSOLUTELY! Also use that marco cement (with plastic wrap) to build flat bottoms on round rocks for support, to ensure snug fit in pieces joining on top of post, and more. Great stuff. Also comes in purple.

Because of how I join structural rocks, I wouldn't cover joints (but corals and mushrooms have lol)
Thanks for your thoughts! I am trying to keep things as modular as I can while keeping everything stable for pretty much the same reasons you’ve pointed out. I guess to your point if glue is sufficient to hold then I probably won’t mortar in the crevices. But I have a couple of spots where the potential for additional strength would be reassuring.

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks I’m advance!
I’ll be starting my rock work here soon for my new tank. My plan is to use the CA glue as more a temp connection as I put the rock together and then will come back later with the mortar to fill in the joints to give it the strength. I also plan on taking small pieces of the rock and smushing it into the mortar while it’s still wet to give it texture and the mortar won’t be flat looking. My thought is even once I get coral started, it’s going to take years for it to grow over the joints and not all the joints will get covered over due to location and shading.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be starting my rock work here soon for my new tank. My plan is to use the CA glue as more a temp connection as I put the rock together and then will come back later with the mortar to fill in the joints to give it the strength. I also plan on taking small pieces of the rock and smushing it into the mortar while it’s still wet to give it texture and the mortar won’t be flat looking. My thought is even once I get coral started, it’s going to take years for it to grow over the joints and not all the joints will get covered over due to location and shading.
I’m starting to learn from test pieces that CA gel alone might not be able to hold up to the stress — depending upon the surface area the glue covers and gaps it has to fill. I can see how mortar can help strengthen the bonds by filling or creating a surrounding layer to the bond.

Thanks!

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to learn from test pieces that CA gel alone might not be able to hold up to the stress — depending upon the surface area the glue covers and gaps it has to fill. I can see how mortar can help strengthen the bonds by filling or creating a surrounding layer to the bond.

Thanks!
I’ve never really thought CA glue was very strong of a glue. About the only thing I feel confident using it for is in woodworking filling in holes and cracks around knots and such where it’s not structural in anyway.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back