Newbie question about calcium and alk buffer

BaileysTank

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 23, 2021
Messages
168
Reaction score
42
Location
America
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m new, and I have two questions one is what is the difference between a calcium/alk buffer and a calcium/alk additive, I assume they are the same but I may be wrong.also I inherited from a old reef a unopened jug of alk and calcium buffer.he said he’s had them for about a year, is it still ok to use them on my tank?
 
You're right, they are the same and yes, year old stuff is fine to use. As your new just want to reiterate to monitor alklinity, calcium and magnesium frequently and be prepared to supplement whichever is low. Often a supplement with alkalinity and calcium is fine but one should be prepared to dose those three individually if needed.
 
The word buffer has a scientific meaning that has been corrupted by reefers to mean many different types of alkalinity additives.

What brand are the chemicals you have?
 
The word buffer has a scientific meaning that has been corrupted by reefers to mean many different types of alkalinity additives.

What brand are the chemicals you have?

4.5 out of 5 stars245Reviews

ESV B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System, 2-part Calcium and Alkalinity Maintenance Kit for Salt Water Coral Reef Aquarium, 2-Gallon
this is what I have, it’s from Amazon​

 
So I’m new, and I have two questions one is what is the difference between a calcium/alk buffer and a calcium/alk additive, I assume they are the same but I may be wrong.also I inherited from a old reef a unopened jug of alk and calcium buffer.he said he’s had them for about a year, is it still ok to use them on my tank?
What specifically are these jugs?
Are they commercial brands, or labeled DIY solutions?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new