Newbie question about which Apex controller to buy?

Angryminer_07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie alert! (sorry if this has already been addressed)

I'm currently in the process of buying/setting up a 120 gal tank DT w/ sump. After doing some research I have decided that I am going with apex for my controller. The question I have now is which one. I was going with the full control until the recent launch of the EL. Now I'm torn. I'm hoping for a distilled opinion from some of the seasoned users on which one I should buy. Is the 300$ difference worth the extra on the full controller? Will I end up spending more to upgrade the EL down the road. I have heard some mixed reviews on the salinity and ORP probes.

My end goal is to have a relatively automated tank that's accessible any time online due to my work schedule. I want to make sure I have plenty of room and options for additions and customization down the road.

Here is a list of my current equipment/desire equipment to be controlled (subject to change):

Lighting: Combo of 2 retrofit t5 fixtures with 3 kessil 360w LED's under a canopy
Powerheads: Combo echo tech mp40qd with some jebao pp15's to have additional flow from the back of tank
heaters: 2 neotherms or finnex elements
Vectra m1 return pump
Separate reactor pump/s
Refug lighting (for reverse lighting schedule)
ATO
DOS pumps for 3 part dosing
leak monitors
Fans for cooling under the canopy
autofeeder (very much so on the edge about this. Heard too many horror stories and bad reviews)

I want some manual switches to control the lights and pumps during maintence/feeding/ etc

( I will eventually decide if i want to get the apex par meter or the seneye to measure and follow strength of the T5's)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the full Apex 2016 for two years now and love it. But doing it over, I think I would absolutely get the EL. ORP is pointless to monitor unless you plan to use ozone. The salinity probe is nice, but not necessary. Mine fluctuates daily when the T5's come on and due to bubbles it drifts.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the full Apex 2016 last year and I wouldn’t be without it now.

It’s one of those things that you only want to purchase once, so if you have the money go for the full system as then you won’t be wishing you had at a later stage and certainly if your wanting major automation.

I only use mine for basic functions but love it.

Just my opinion and welcome to R2R as well by the way!

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a classic Apex & just bought a used Full 2016 model. I am weighing my options which to keep (I'll be selling 1 of them). I purchased the 2016 model mistakenly thinking I could get rid f 1 of my PM modules. From what I can tell the only advantage of the 2016 is the extra programming you can do (all via fusion) for monitoring (not for any add'l control). I agree with the others ORP to me is useless & the salinity is nice, for add'l monitoring.

I've watched numerous videos & there are lost more programming features available on the 2016, but most are just safe guards. If you aren't going to go full on & put in all kinds of extra safety, shut off, or monitoring features... get a classic of the used forum & save the $.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Obviously if affordable to you, the Apex 2016. They now have the new EL entry level and near the cost of a used classic.
At minimum, get a used classic that has no rust

Last edited:

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been considering a controller since Drfostersmith was selling the classic for $300. I could be wrong but to me the EL doesn't allow for control kessils and wavemakers out of the box. If you have to buy the extra modules which makes it very close to the cost of the full system and if you want salinity you have to buy another module.... might as well get the full system as it seems easier to expand. Trying to decide whether I'm going to bite that bullet or wait

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The EL is also missing the 0-10v ports. If you want to use them to dim your lights or control the spectrum I would get the 2016. The ORP probe in my opinion isn't useless, it can be the canary in the coal mine that something is changing in your system. I do make sure my salinity probe is bubble free frequently, but it has been solid for me.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first tank recently with apex everything. Love the automation, hate the price. I control everything from my phone. Next tank I'm going to take my time and build automation from open source.

Apex is way over priced for what it does.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have been considering a controller since Drfostersmith was selling the classic for $300. I could be wrong but to me the EL doesn't allow for control kessils and wavemakers out of the box. If you have to buy the extra modules which makes it very close to the cost of the full system and if you want salinity you have to buy another module.... might as well get the full system as it seems easier to expand. Trying to decide whether I'm going to bite that bullet or wait

I Bit the bullet and with No regrets.

OP
OP
Angryminer_07

Angryminer_07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I'll bite the bullet and get the 2016. I was leaning hard already and you guys helped convince me. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Think I'll bite the bullet and get the 2016. I was leaning hard already and you guys helped convince me. Thanks!

Youre talking full connectivity for both present and future needs

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back