Newbie questions about rock flower

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m a newbie when it comes to saltwater but not aquariums. My 34 gallon has officially been up and running for about 2 months. With that being said, the rock and biological media was from a 2year old nano. I have read everywhere that a Tank needs to be up and running for at least 6 months before an Anemone is added. This tank didn’t have to cycle, at worst I got a mini cycle with a small diatom and bacteria bloom. Not sure if that part matters but I thought I would mention it.

I have started looking at rock flower nems and have decided that’s what I want, even if they won’t host clowns. I even have a spot picked out I would like them to settle. I know I may not get my wish in that reguard but I can hope lol. So the question what do I need to look for to know my tank is ready or is there anything? Is the 6 months to a year a hard rule or is there something I can do to help it? I’ve read that rock nems arent picky about lighting so I think I’m good in that reguard. Thanks for any tips on this.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just read your welcome post. You a cross over from high tech freshwater? I am & just getting started. Its exciting. So welcome!

Yes my 75 gallon is high tech, eco complete substrate, current satellite pro lighting, pressurized co2 injection. Only thing I haven’t done is add ferts, but I’m sure I will. I’m excited too, salt is such adventure and a challenge, which is what makes it fun for me.

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my 75 gallon is high tech, eco complete substrate, current satellite pro lighting, pressurized co2 injection. Only thing I haven’t done is add ferts, but I’m sure I will. I’m excited too, salt is such adventure and a challenge, which is what makes it fun for me.

Ya, I sold almost everything. Ironically I have some good quality powder fertilizers left, and Id let them go for a great price if you're interested let me know. Never used. You're a few steps ahead of me so I'll try to pay attention to your mistakes!

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t sale any of my other tanks, although I’m sure the wife would have liked me to. I hope to convert the garage into an aquarium room soon. Then i will have tons of room for tanks.

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t sale any of my other tanks, although I’m sure the wife would have liked me to. I hope to convert the garage into an aquarium room soon. Then i will have tons of room for tanks.

You get her to start naming them. I know men get great results with it. :) hope you get your answer!

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flower nems won’t move much from where you put it. I haven’t seen any of mine move more than 1/2 an inch from where I dropped them, whether high or low in the tank. If you have other corals and are up to LPS then you are fine to add flower anemones. They are super hardy and make great additions. Don’t forget to feed them meaty foods, it will help them grow faster and contributes to their health and color, not to mention it’s a lot of fun to watch the aggressive feeding response they have!

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flower nems won’t move much from where you put it. I haven’t seen any of mine move more than 1/2 an inch from where I dropped them, whether high or low in the tank. If you have other corals and are up to LPS then you are fine to add flower anemones. They are super hardy and make great additions. Don’t forget to feed them meaty foods, it will help them grow faster and contributes to their health and color, not to mention it’s a lot of fun to watch the aggressive feeding response they have!

Thank you very much for that! So excited to get one of these beautiful creatures. Couple of more questions. I have seen their max size all of over the place, how big do they get? Also, I have seen many pictures of multiple rock anemones living on the same rock. Can they live in close proximity with each other long term?

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 RFA. 2 of them stay put. My 3rd one likes to take a trip around the tank every so often. In the end it settles back where it started. Mine like lots of light. Feeding them is interesting, they are very aggressive and close quickly. Trying to see if I can get them to breed. At least from what I've read, feeding them can help them breed. I'm hoping I have a mix of males and females.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for that! So excited to get one of these beautiful creatures. Couple of more questions. I have seen their max size all of over the place, how big do they get? Also, I have seen many pictures of multiple rock anemones living on the same rock. Can they live in close proximity with each other long term?

I wouldn’t say they won’t get above 5” across. At least I’ve never seen one, and I’ve seen some a few years old. Yes, these guys can touch each other without causing damage. If you do this and have moonlights on a schedule you actually have a good chance that once they are settled in for a few months they will spawn.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 RFA. 2 of them stay put. My 3rd one likes to take a trip around the tank every so often. In the end it settles back where it started. Mine like lots of light. Feeding them is interesting, they are very aggressive and close quickly. Trying to see if I can get them to breed. At least from what I've read, feeding them can help them breed. I'm hoping I have a mix of males and females.

Right now I'm running a single current orbit marine pro, but will be adding a second one soon. The light as already been proven strong enough to grow zoa's and some LPS. I think the second one will just make it that much better for it. Thanks

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say they won’t get above 5” across. At least I’ve never seen one, and I’ve seen some a few years old. Yes, these guys can touch each other without causing damage. If you do this and have moonlights on a schedule you actually have a good chance that once they are settled in for a few months they will spawn.

Awesom, I have the perfect spot for them! Way excited now, I just wanted to make sure they would be in an appropriate tank before i put them in.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 of mine are right on top of each other. They are about the size of a quarter. My 3rd one that likes to roam from time to time is 2.5-3" in diameter.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesom, I have the perfect spot for them! Way excited now, I just wanted to make sure they would be in an appropriate tank before i put them in.

Make sure to post pictures! I wanted some nems for porcelain crabs and found out these guys moved the least so I got my first about 4 months in after starting w 90% dry rock and had no problems. Of course eventually I decided I wanted a nice rainbow bubble tip for my clowns though haha. But no doubt these guys have some awesome colors. Check our kushcorals.com anemone section, they have some awesome flowers for great prices.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do they require moonlights to spawn?

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to post pictures! I wanted some nems for porcelain crabs and found out these guys moved the least so I got my first about 4 months in after starting w 90% dry rock and had no problems. Of course eventually I decided I wanted a nice rainbow bubble tip for my clowns though haha. But no doubt these guys have some awesome colors. Check our kushcorals.com anemone section, they have some awesome flowers for great prices.

I will for sure! It may be a few weeks but they will be in there soon. Of course every time I see a color I really like it seems to be the most expensive one lol. I will check out that website.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they require moonlights to spawn?

I haven’t heard of them doing so without it. Don’t quote me on this but I recall reading somewhere something along the lines that corals and anemones time their spawning with moonlight cycles and will release the sperm and eggs at a point where there is the most (zoo?)plankton in the water column so that the babies can eat up.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t heard of them doing so without it. Don’t quote me on this but I recall reading somewhere something along the lines that corals and anemones time their spawning with moonlight cycles and will release the sperm and eggs at a point where there is the most (zoo?)plankton in the water column so that the babies can eat up.
Ok thanks. I have 2 in one tank and the 3rd is in another tank, but the tanks are plumbed together. I will need to turn on the moonlights and see what happens. I will also increase their food.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 10.0%

Back